Saving your Smopsmith and LOTS more. I HATE thieves

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

idcook wrote:::::: the newbie lurks in the bushes feigning disinterest but actually waiting for the discussion to attain a fevered uproar. At which point he’ll seek a fissure through which a 10ER might be winkled from the melee::::
Winkled??? I sense my vocabulary being expanded. :eek: Merriam Webster was a bit more obtuse this time ... it seems to be a British thing. ;)

Back to the subject at hand, I long ago concluded that home security measures have almost nothing to do with physical security. In my case, the doors are locked, but smashing a window to obtain physical entry would be child's play. Even a concrete block wall can easily be defeated by a lowly sledge hammer in a just minute or two. Which is exactly what happened to a convenience store owned by my Dad many moons ago.

I believe that the value of home security measures is based almost entirely upon the fear of our law enforcement system. In other words, if a security measure makes a crook believe that he is more likely to be caught by the cops and go to jail, it is effective. No more, no less.

Forty-plus years ago, I recall that the police in Nashville TN went on strike. The news media played it up big time, predicting massive crime and anarchy, and undoubtedly selling many commercials in the process. They also interviewed many shop owners, who very understandably had begun packing iron, and were not a bit shy about saying so.

The crooks must have been watching those interviews. Crime rates dropped precipitiously.

Take all of that with a small grain of salt .. I was pretty young. But I do believe that my memories are accurate.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

idcook wrote:::::: the newbie lurks in the bushes feigning disinterest but actually waiting for the discussion to attain a fevered uproar. At which point he’ll seek a fissure through which a 10ER might be winkled from the melee::::
Don't even think about it. I may not have a baseball bat, but I'll bet an ER way tube will break a knee, just as easy. And, I've only got 8 of them.:D

Seriously, if my brother's UNUSED ER is still sitting around, come July, the good pieces are coming home with me. (Like I really need more!)

steve
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

6 idiots broke into my store in the last 6 months on three occasions.

6 went to jail within a short period of time including the three that crawled into the attic to 'hide'.

A seventh did get away, but abandoned the 'loot' less than a half block away. I guess all the red and blue light made him skittish.

So detecting unauthorized entry is the answer.(and a fast responding police force). Ever see 20 sets of red and blue lights gathered around a building?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

benush26 wrote:A friend sent me these two videos on how thieves can break into a garage and then a solution in the second video.

Thought I'd pass them along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDw8DOblGB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSO_HTBHLFI

Scary how easy it is!!

Be well, Ben
If someone does this at my house, they will be in for quite a surprise when they open the door…my two dogs, including a 90lb Komondor (livestock guard dog) have open access to the garage from the yard…open the garage door and they'll be in the face of anyone unfamiliar…matter of fact, they would never even get as far as stuffing the hanger up into the door before the Komondor would jumping against the door going ballistic.
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

JPG40504 wrote:6 idiots broke into my store in the last 6 months on three occasions.

6 went to jail within a short period of time including the three that crawled into the attic to 'hide'.

A seventh did get away, but abandoned the 'loot' less than a half block away. I guess all the red and blue light made him skittish.

So detecting unauthorized entry is the answer.(and a fast responding police force). Ever see 20 sets of red and blue lights gathered around a building?
OK, on the 23rd of February, 3 punk kids were climbing on , and getting in to mischief, on the back of the store where I work. (I live in an apartment, close enough to hit the back of the store, from my apartment.) One of the maint people banged on my store, and said, "there's a bunch of punk kids climbing on the stuff on the back of the store." So, I called the non-911 number for Mesa PD.

45 minutes later, a single guy in a squad car drives past the back of the store. He would have kept on going, if I hadn't YELLED at him. He stopped, and we talked. Seems the dispatcher neglected to tell him who and where I was. Since our store is closed on Sunday, when I told the owner on Monday, he was happy with my actions.

When seconds count, depend on the Police to be there in minutes! Or, I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by my 6 brothers.

If ANYONE thinks that the police can STOP crime, you've been watching too much MSNBC! When something quick and deadly goes down, they can call the coroner, and make those neat chalk outlines.

steve
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

dgale wrote:If someone does this at my house, they will be in for quite a surprise when they open the door…my two dogs, including a 90lb Komondor (livestock guard dog) have open access to the garage from the yard…open the garage door and they'll be in the face of anyone unfamiliar…matter of fact, they would never even get as far as stuffing the hanger up into the door before the Komondor would jumping against the door going ballistic.
I've got a friend that raises Alaskan Malamutes. Real FRIENDLY dogs.

He used to live in one of the corner houses in a cul-de-sac, with a canal on one side, and a vacant lot on the other side. (Of the back corner.)

So, (as he told me the story) this perp jumps the fence, and 3 dogs see someone to play with. (I might add, that the smallest one was 110 pounds, and they ALL have LONG fur.) He was watching the whole thing, and he said, "all I saw was 'posteriors' and elbows climbing back over the cinder-block fence." But, they just wanted to play!

steve
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

dgale wrote:Fred - I'm intrigued by this possibility - do you have any more info on this system and where to get it etc?
Here is a link to the camera system.
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/ho ... m2200.aspx

And here is the alarm system I installed to send a text message so I can access my cameras via a web application on my phone. I have not activitated the actual call center notification function yet, I just use the available text messaging part of the system for now. The camera system requires access to the internet via a router to send an e-mail notification and to provide access to the cameras. If you lose power or access to the internet, you can't access the cameras which is why I have the security system, which has a battery backup in the base station so it can still send text messages to your phone even if power is lost/cut off and does not require access to the internet, great if you want to set it up in your detatched shop or garage with no internet connection.

http://simplisafe.com/security?gclid=CI ... ampion=Yes
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
MikeG
Gold Member

Post by MikeG »

My garage door opener trolley would not take the cable tie solution as there is no hole to latch the release lever to. Ron Hazelton shows making a blocking shield as another way to foil the fishing attempt in this video on garage security. http://www.ronhazelton.com/blog/your_garage_may_be_beckoning_burglars
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

As a young boy I watch a carpenter install a rather simple lock on a door to our garage and I mentioned how easy it would be to break in.

He stopped his work and explained to me that locks only kept out honest thieves. That if someone wanted in there was literally nothing he could build to keep them out.

Thieves broke into the house across the street from me. They opened the garage door and pulled their van in to load it in private. The off duty cop down the street came up with his car and parked it in front of the garage door and called the police.

When the crooks heard the sirens they threw open the door to make their get away only to discover a car with nobody in was sitting if front of them. By this time the police were here and caught them red handed and took them away.

Best protection from break ins. Is every neighbor looking out for every one else. I live at the beginning of a development with only one way in. Me and most everyone else keeps track of the every coming and going. If a car we don't know pulls in we try to get a picture of the driver and license in case there is something wrong later.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!