Conical Disk Questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mr.d
Gold Member

Conical Disk Questions

Post by mr.d »

Have a 510 that I've outfitted to be sort of a dedicated sanding station. Drum, belt, disk (flat & conical) and then OSS on the floating tables. Got everything flat, square, parallel etc. etc.

However, when setting up the conical disk per the 4 degree instructions things just didn't look right when I put the machinist square on the table against the disk (pretty big gap down by the table). So I sit the angle finder on the table and it read 4 degrees as does the hash mark on the scale under the table.

Decided to pitch the 4 degree instructions and set it up with the square and that angle ended up being just barely 2 degrees. Ran a piece of 4" wide ash thru it and marveled at the resulting edge. Sanded perfect 90 degrees to the face and just perfectly sanded. First time I've used this so I'm quite happy. Question is what gives with the 4 degree instructions? Am I missing something. Image
2004 Golden Anniversary 520, 1992 510 "Shorty" - Rebuilt November 2013, Pro Planer, SS Workbench Pro, PM 3520B, Ridgid R4511, Incra RT, Jet 16" BS, HF 6" Jointer, MLCS HRT, HF 12" Slider, Rockler RT, Grizzly & HF DC with Super Dust Deputy.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

mr.d wrote:Have a 510 that I've outfitted to be sort of a dedicated sanding station. Drum, belt, disk (flat & conical) and then OSS on the floating tables. Got everything flat, square, parallel etc. etc.

However, when setting up the conical disk per the 4 degree instructions things just didn't look right when I put the machinist square on the table against the disk (pretty big gap down by the table). So I sit the angle finder on the table and it read 4 degrees as does the hash mark on the scale under the table.

Decided to pitch the 4 degree instructions and set it up with the square and that angle ended up being just barely 2 degrees. Ran a piece of 4" wide ash thru it and marveled at the resulting edge. Sanded perfect 90 degrees to the face and just perfectly sanded. First time I've used this so I'm quite happy. Question is what gives with the 4 degree instructions? Am I missing something. Image
The machinest square is the way to go. 4 degrees is just in the area code.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You are not missing anything!

SS is delusional with that 4 degree info.

Most of us that have looked closely have 'discovered' the angle to be closer to 3 degrees.

Tis interesting that you are observing 2 degrees.

Correct setup is indeed to square the line of contact to the table for a square edge.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mr.d
Gold Member

Post by mr.d »

Thanks for the replies. Was hoping for those kind of answers. I had seen some other threads on the subject and seen some of the different 3,4 and 5 degree numbers but nothing referring to 2 degrees. New disk from SS, new paper and it's just barely hitting the 2 mark. Can't argue with the results.
2004 Golden Anniversary 520, 1992 510 "Shorty" - Rebuilt November 2013, Pro Planer, SS Workbench Pro, PM 3520B, Ridgid R4511, Incra RT, Jet 16" BS, HF 6" Jointer, MLCS HRT, HF 12" Slider, Rockler RT, Grizzly & HF DC with Super Dust Deputy.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

mr.d wrote:Thanks for the replies. Was hoping for those kind of answers. I had seen some other threads on the subject and seen some of the different 3,4 and 5 degree numbers but nothing referring to 2 degrees. New disk from SS, new paper and it's just barely hitting the 2 mark. Can't argue with the results.
That a custom turned wood handle on the table raiser crank?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mr.d wrote:Thanks for the replies. Was hoping for those kind of answers. I had seen some other threads on the subject and seen some of the different 3,4 and 5 degree numbers but nothing referring to 2 degrees. New disk from SS, new paper and it's just barely hitting the 2 mark. Can't argue with the results.
And what is the 'trunnion' reading with a flat disk? Have you set the table stop and index pointer square to a flat disk or saw blade.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mr.d
Gold Member

Post by mr.d »

algale wrote:That a custom turned wood handle on the table raiser crank?
Nice pickup there algale. The mustard monster comes in handy. Also used it to modify a dust collection fitting on the belt sander. It's pretty tight in there when the sander is in the upright position.
mr.d
Gold Member

Post by mr.d »

JPG40504 wrote:And what is the 'trunnion' reading with a flat disk? Have you set the table stop and index pointer square to a flat disk or saw blade.
One of the few items that didn't need any adjustments. New flat disk and saw blade were both dead on 90 degrees with trunnion reading at zero with the angle finder and square.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mr.d wrote:One of the few items that didn't need any adjustments. New flat disk and saw blade were both dead on 90 degrees with trunnion reading at zero with the angle finder and square.
Thank You, I was trying to explain the 2 degrees. Guess it shall remain a mystery.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Two degrees on what indicator? Mine all measure in the 3 degree range with a variety of digital devices.

However, it really does not matter as long as you have found the way to "make it square".

As has already been reported, it is a mystery how Shopsmith comes by this 4 degree statement. Back in the days of Saturday morning online Sawdust Sessions with Nick and friends there was an attempt to explain this phenomena but I never did catch onto the explanation.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.