Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

I've had the glass for the aft enclosure sitting on the aft deck since November. Spring briefly visited a week ago, so I installed the windows. But then winter came back with a vengeance, so the polysulfide sealant still isn't fully cured!
1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Aft Enclosure Glass

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Winter hasn't cut me much slack this year. For the 6th time, I had to clear snow to get into the tent. I spent the day trying once again to get the helm station window frames dry-fitted, only to once again discover a deal-stopper problem that I'll have to resolve.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer Refit: Window Pains III–the Evil Helm Windshield Frames

Cheers,
Q

idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

roamer46 wrote: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer Refit: Window Pains III&#8211]Evil[/B] Helm Windshield Frames

HA! That gave me a real chuckle! :D
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Oh...you laugh, but only because you don't have to deal with them! They are truly evil! And there are so many of them!! :p

In other news, I got my Chris Craft Roamer Cruise Control (trim tab) patterns made, with the help of my trusty Shop Smith.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Trim Tabs

Cheers,
Q

idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

All kidding aside, I’ve been astounded following this thread. For me, it’s one of the most inspirational. Especially considering that I’m still working on how to make a passable toothpick. :o
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks, idcook!

There's no woodworking in my latest article (not even toothpicks!), but I did manage a big advance in the project: I finally got the bow deck hatch apart. What a bear that was...

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Disassembling the Bow Hatch

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Just when I thought the winter was gone, we got dumped on again. Fortunately, there's plenty of stuff that needs to be done inside the boat in preparation for splashing this fall. Since I'll be installing the rudders, steering and trim tabs shortly, I decided to get floors installed in the aft stateroom all the way to the transom.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Cabin Floors

Cheers,
Q

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Thanks for posting! You're making nice progress.
Chris
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks, Chris. Though I must say, I wish things were moving along faster. Ah well...

Over the long, nasty winter, I've been getting lots of things staged for when it finally warms up and dries out a bit.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: New Bits & Pieces Back From the Fabricator
Cheers,

Q

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Roamer, this is the most amazing example of a DIY BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) that I have ever seen. Either you have an encyclopedic knowledge of both boats and fabricating, or else you must spend almost as much time on Google as you do working on the boat!

But you don't strike me as the kind of guy who would enjoy spending all your time sunbathing and otherwise lolligagging on a cabin cruiser! So my question is, are you going to actually use this thing? (The mind does boggle at the sheer babe-magnet potential) :cool: Or will you sell it, and then do it all over again on an even bigger one??? :eek: