Lufkin Red End Folding Ruler

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Since we be displaying Stanley boxwood rulers, here's more pix.

Here's a 'cute' one. Notice the inside caliper index mark.
[ATTACH]24527[/ATTACH]

Backside in 1/16ths.
[ATTACH]24529[/ATTACH]

More 36 1/2L. Notice theolder one has a hang up hole.
[ATTACH]24530[/ATTACH]

The older one appears to have once had a finger post on the slide.
[ATTACH]24531[/ATTACH]

Yep, both have inside calibration on the backside of the slide.

The older one is in the to do pile. Not sure how to clean up the boxwood!
Attachments
stanley 136 front.jpg
stanley 136 front.jpg (212.98 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
stanley 136 back.jpg
stanley 136 back.jpg (262.68 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
stanley 36 1-2L front.jpg
stanley 36 1-2L front.jpg (267.41 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
stanley 35 1-2L nub.jpg
stanley 35 1-2L nub.jpg (227.79 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG40504 wrote:Not sure how to clean up the boxwood!
Boxwood cleaner of course.:D
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:Boxwood cleaner of course.:D
That anything like corn meal?:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

bffulgham wrote:[ATTACH]24517[/ATTACH]
I have one of these. I've had it so long I don't remember where I got it.
steve4447
Gold Member

Post by steve4447 »

This thread has been like a trip to the hardware store of my youth..
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

I sure have enjoyed all these comments and especially your pictures of folding rulers. I'm surprised no one has commented on the other message in this post, about my sorry habit of buying tools I never use and even worse, losing tools. I'm glad you folks don't have those bad habits in your tool box!

I just dug up a brand new microjig gripper I bought 10 years ago. I think I'll put it together after supper. I need to make some 3/8 strips on my table saw and the gripper is supposed to be a great way to do that safely.
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Bud I have the same folding Stanley folding flat ruler and I still have one red end lufkin from my grandfather and when I lost Dad about 15 months ago no one wanted his wood tools and everyone knew they would find a way to my shop. So got rest of Grandpa's hand saws and Dad and Grandpa's other three Lufkin rulers.
Love the old tools and cannot get enough of them. Guess that is why I keep finding and rebuilding the old ShopSmith ER's
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Been using my folding ruler more every day, especially for inside measurements. Unfortunately most of the time it's too big to measure the gap between my old craftsman table saw blade and fence. Yes I still have to do the measure, measure, tap tap tap every time I move the fence. What other simple tools are out there for doing inside measurements less than 7 inches? Thanks for your thoughts.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I was at a very old hardware store recently and saw a handful of those Lufkin Red End Folding Rulers in a cup on the counter. They were about $19. I almost picked one up. I have a folding ruler, but it doesn't have the slide extension
tomsalwasser wrote:Been using my folding ruler more every day, especially for inside measurements. Unfortunately most of the time it's too big to measure the gap between my old craftsman table saw blade and fence. Yes I still have to do the measure, measure, tap tap tap every time I move the fence. What other simple tools are out there for doing inside measurements less than 7 inches? Thanks for your thoughts.
I sometimes use a caliper for that. Just a cheap little vernier caliper I got at Harbor Freight for a couple bucks. It's easy to take a measurement with the jaws (inside or outside), then use the depth measurement to transfer that to the fence.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Is there a gap between the bottom of the fence and the table top? If so, a thin(thinner than the gap) ruler of any length will work. Slide it under the fence, butt the end agsainst the blade(extended tooth) and read from the edge of the fence.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝