Why I hate software updates

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Have ya checked to see if ya have a NEW profile? Check to see if ya have an OLD profile that has all of your bookmarks in it.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

db5 wrote:Not quite. In Firefox, clicking on the top left FF logo gives these options: Restore, Move, Size, Minimize, Maximize, Close. Restore is not an option as it is in light print. The Restore function in Windows7 wouldn't bring back the older FF.
Ok, we're seeing different things because we have different layout configurations. I have my "menu bar" turned off, so in the upper left corner is a rectangular orange button with the word "Firefox" followed by a down arrow on it. Clicking that brings up a menu with two columns of options. At the top of the right column is "Bookmarks."

I think you're seeing the window title bar at the top, under that the "File | Edit | View | History | Bookmarks" etc menu bar. And under that your browser tabs. If you click on View, then Toolbars, then uncheck the Menu Bar option, you'll see the rectangular Firefox button I was talking about. But it's not necessary to do that.

If you click on Bookmarks in the menu bar and you have no bookmarks there (or if you view all bookmarks by either choosing that option in the Bookmark menu or using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Shift-B) and you have no bookmarks, then I bet beeg is onto something with the profiles. I bet it's loading a default or new profile instead of the one it was previously loading.

Check out this page about managing Firefox profiles (you might want to open it in IE so you can leave it open and follow the instructions for Firefox): https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... x-profiles
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
swampgator
Platinum Member

another layer

Post by swampgator »

Back in the 1990's when IE was coming out, all the updates blanked out your bookmarks. It was frustrating. At the time, I had Access, a Microsoft database. I built a table to put my bookmarks in. Since then, I've migrated all my desired bookmarks into Excel. I have different spread sheets for each category. One sheet is for durable medical equipment (DME), another for woodworking, another for plans, etc. You can put your bookmarks in Notepad or any word processor. Then if you want to go to the site, open the file where your bookmarks are and click on the hyperlink. Since I only use IE, it automatically open the browser and find your site. And, it's easy to back up to a memory stick.

For updates, my Samsung smartphone will update trash they think I need or want. I'm always having to delete the updates and can't delete many programs that T-Mobile thinks I want. I'm not into the social chatting stuff, so I don't need all that and the shopping. To me, the phone is to serve me, not them. There is no switch to turn off the updates. Wish I could. My phone serves me as a phone, weather watch, viewing a map before I leave the house and a book when I'm waiting in the doctor's office.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

With a customized version of the firmware on your phone, you can get rid of the bloat and disable updates. But then, this voids your warranty...
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
nil
Gold Member

Post by nil »

Beeg is on to something. Your old Firefox profile was probably incompatible with the new Firefox so you probably landed in a new profile with the old one still there on your hard drive for you to fish out of the right directory to manually recover whatever you like from it.

If you had not resisted updates it may had been upgraded over time in a compatible way but probably just didn't know how to make the jump from 2006 to 2014 or whatever your situation was.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

beeg wrote:Have ya checked to see if ya have a NEW profile? Check to see if ya have an OLD profile that has all of your bookmarks in it.
Where would I do that, Beeg?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

dusty wrote:Where would I do that, Beeg?

Here's more info than ya want.:eek:
Click on the second one down. "Profiles-where firefox stores"

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/searc ... e+location
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

beeg wrote:Here's more info than ya want.:eek:
Click on the second one down. "Profiles-where firefox stores"

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/search?esab=a&product=firefox&q=profile+location
Thanks, Beeg. That answered all of my questions and then some.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.