Do I belong to a Shopsmith?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

You loosen the small knob on the 10E table raiser for coarse/fast adjustments. Lock it and then do the fine/slow adjustment with the larger nut/knob.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Cavediver wrote:I don't have one of those to compare to, so the best I can do is measure the amount of travel per revolution of the adjustment knob. I'd hazard a guess that the newer version is faster with less control, but it's just that: a guess.

Regarding the mechanism I have: what are the two ears with bolts for? Adjusting the angle of the extension bar? Also, any chance someone knows the thread pattern for the mounting bolt?
You loosen the small knob on the 10E table raiser for coarse/fast adjustments. Lock it and then do the fine/slow adjustment with the larger nut/knob.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Since the main mounting screw is on top of the carriage, the side 'ears' with screws and lock nuts makes it adjustable to the side of the carriage so the 'ram' rod is vertical.

At least that is the way I see it!

Mount screw = 1/2-13.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Cavediver
Gold Member

Post by Cavediver »

JPG40504 wrote:Mount screw = 1/2-13.
Do you know if that's the same as the thread on the 10ER adjustment crank?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Cavediver wrote:Do you know if that's the same as the thread on the 10ER adjustment crank?
I hope so! That is the source of my answer!:D

I assume that hole has been the same since day one.;)

My 10E 'manual' makes no mention of either table raising hardware, but all pix have the hole.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Cavediver
Gold Member

Post by Cavediver »

FWIW, which is probably very little, I measured the travel of the original table lift: .1" per revolution. I suppose that makes the main thread a 3/4-10, but I failed to measure the diameter to confirm. Oops!

The 1/2" bolt and washer I bought to attach the lift fit, so life is good. :)

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I bought said bolt; I chose stainless. I also bought some new stainless bolts and washers to attach the motor to the mount. There are now five bright and shiny spots on this thing, and it's really making me want to perform a full restoration.

Does this ever end? Why can't I be satisfied with an ugly but solid user grade tool?

Sigh.

Thanks again to all!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="Cavediver"]FWIW, which is probably very little, I measured the travel of the original table lift: .1" per revolution. I suppose that makes the main thread a 3/4-10, but I failed to measure the diameter to confirm. Oops!

The 1/2" bolt and washer I bought to attach the lift fit, so life is good. :)

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I bought said bolt]

Sure it was not .077"?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Cavediver
Gold Member

Post by Cavediver »

JPG40504 wrote:Sure it was not .077"?:D
Kidding?
The original, outboard unit is .1", measured (to the best of my ability) with a cheap digital indicator and magnetic stand.

The 1/2-13 crank? Yeah, that one's .077 :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ahh so. Misinterpreted the post.:o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝