Eccentric tailstock and fluting a turned leg

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scollins
Gold Member

Eccentric tailstock and fluting a turned leg

Post by scollins »

I am reproducing a Philco radio fluted leg. I have the leg turned and the flutes laid out. I have not used the eccentric feature before, but figure this is the perfect time to learn.

Questions
How to determine the proper eccentric offset?
Any one have a design for a holder for a router to use the tool rest support to hold a small trim router to cut flute?

My plan is to set stops on the way tubes for enter and exit positions and drag the carriage down the leg for perfect flutes. Way short on time so I am trying to shorten the learning curve.

5-31-2014
K.I.S.S. Jig
Short dowel size of tool post with hole in center
Flat scrap of plywood bolted to dowel with a couple of small beveled strips to lock router barrel in place
Non-slip material and a 4" hose clamp to hold it together

I cut flutes in 3 steps:
Right to left from off blank to maximum depth
Right to left from off blank to finish feathering out flute since I wasn't deep enough at start
Carriage locked, left to right from off blank swinging in an arc to meet maximum depth.

Now, having learned what the jig will do, I would start off of the blank on the left, swing into cut and slide down the length of the flute and feather out off of the blank. Time did not permit experimentation or screwing up a $20 dollar blank and starting over. I have a little more carving to do on the face of the blank and a little clean up before delivering the goods tomorrow.
Attachments
Tapered Leg.JPG
Tapered Leg.JPG (93.54 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
Original -Copy.JPG
Original -Copy.JPG (92.7 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
Cutting Flute.JPG
Cutting Flute.JPG (107.04 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Jig in Support Arm.JPG
Jig in Support Arm.JPG (90.79 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Swinging into Flute on Deep Side.JPG
Swinging into Flute on Deep Side.JPG (73.38 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
Last edited by scollins on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

scollins wrote:I am reproducing a Philco radio fluted leg. I have the leg turned and the flutes laid out. I have not used the eccentric feature before, but figure this is the perfect time to learn.

Questions
How to determine the proper eccentric offset?
Any one have a design for a holder for a router to use the tool rest support to hold a small trim router to cut flute?

My plan is to set stops on the way tubes for enter and exit positions and drag the carriage down the leg for perfect flutes. Way short on time so I am trying to shorten the learning curve.

You need a shaft index wheel to do that also.(IIUC)

I am confused re your status. If you have indeed turned the leg, did you not already use the tailstock offset to obtain the taper?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

I think it would work out better making a custom jig. I've done something like this with my plunge router, but not on a round leg. Here are two links of a series of videos:

http://youtu.be/dCsGWDHtR58

http://youtu.be/Op2ADOg00NA
John
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Years ago I did a real Rube Goldberg; I no longer have this jig:

Router riding on a jig up and down the way-tubes:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachm ... 1225671909

Old sanding disk used as an Indexing guide:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachm ... 1225671946

But anyway, I'm searching for another post where one Member did an ingenious mount of a Trim Router on the lathe tool-post. Haven't found it yet....
Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That is one mean looking router.:D

[ATTACH]25209[/ATTACH]
Attachments
mean looking router.jpg
mean looking router.jpg (167.68 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Post by lv2wdwrk »

Don't know if this will help, but may give you some ideas.
5 part series on making a twisted candle holder on a shopsmith.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kd6vpe/videos
Bob

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense!
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

Hey JPG,

You saw my mahogany dining table, so this is a cakewalk. I just need to get the set up straight in my head so I don't mess up an already nice turning. Flutes are marked just need to cut.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

scollins wrote:Hey JPG,

You saw my mahogany dining table, so this is a cakewalk. I just need to get the set up straight in my head so I don't mess up an already nice turning. Flutes are marked just need to cut.
OK, so I will assume the eccentric is relevant because you want to use it to make the leg taper parallel to the ways horizontally. Unfortunately, that also moves the leg out of parallel vertically albeit much less.

I would make a jig that allows router movement parallel to the leg taper. I think that would be done by having the 'slide' above the leg. Then matching the taper becomes a depth of cut relationship.

Although similar things have been done by moving the carriage I be a bit leery of that(things can get sloppy too easily and 'secretly').

Either the way or bench tubes can provide vertical support(or floor also).

Should be obvious the the 'slide' for the router will not be horizontal, but sloped to match the taper.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

Just checked out the flute set up and do not need to offset the leg. The taper is 3/32nd less at the small end compared to the larger end and should work perfectly off of the tool rest support arm. I'll have vertical and horizontal adjustment and only need to come up with a flat plate to anchor the router to and a post to secure the plate to the support arm. The flutes start deep and fade to swallow. Just have to wait till Saturday to do it.

Thanks for shaking out the cobwebs. I'll try to remember to post pics for those that still need a visual.
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

I have edited the initial post to include pics and details of what I have learned. This set up is a keeper and needs to move to a metal copy with a two part post to allow the router to swivel or lock into a set postion.