Will SS grinding wheel arbor handle 1" thick wheels?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fitzhugh
Gold Member

Will SS grinding wheel arbor handle 1" thick wheels?

Post by fitzhugh »

My 8 x 1 x 1 wheel just arrived. Silly me, I measured the wrong arbor and don't have one that fits. I assumed I had four 5/8" arbors and one 1 1/4" arbor. No luck - I've got three long shaft 1/2" arbors with craftsman blades and a buffing wheel on them, a SHORT 5/8" arbor with a master mechanic blade, and a 1 1/4" arbor with a shopsmith blade.

None of which fit the 1" thick wheel with it's 1" hole even with the 5/8" bushing it came with.

Can I use it with a metal bushing that steps it down to 1/2"?

Will the shopsmith 5/8" grinding wheel arbor hold a 1" thick wheel?

I called about the last question and wasn't left with a clear answer. He said there was 1/4" left - I assume he meant after a 1" thick wheel, and he said the nut itself is 1/4" thick. Since I'll need to put some blotter disks in there as well it just seems like there is not much room to thread on the nut. Anyone have one they can check for me?

Thanks!
Greenie (no serial #), 82 Mark V 500 serial #128648, ci bandsaw, old jigsaw, planer. All one buy in March 2014. Magna Jointer added Nov. '14. Speed reducer, conical disk and two bearing quill upgrade.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

That looks like a solution. I can't make out how it is assembled. It says there is a 3.something inch threaded shaft... Are there large flange nuts or the like that would end up on either side of the wheel? Is that how it works?

Thanks as always!
Greenie (no serial #), 82 Mark V 500 serial #128648, ci bandsaw, old jigsaw, planer. All one buy in March 2014. Magna Jointer added Nov. '14. Speed reducer, conical disk and two bearing quill upgrade.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fitzhugh wrote:That looks like a solution. I can't make out how it is assembled. It says there is a 3.something inch threaded shaft... Are there large flange nuts or the like that would end up on either side of the wheel? Is that how it works?

Thanks as always!
I am not sure what the 3+ means unless it is overall length.

That fat(3/4") bulge is a spacer, as are the two narrower washers. The keyed washer is critical. I attribute the M5/500/MVII caveat to be because of its protruding nut. If not using it under the table that is irrelevant.

There have been different versions using the same part number. I think any will work, although the nut may not fully enclose the threaded shaft on some.

This is a good general purpose arbor to have.JMHO;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

I had overlooked the keyed washer and was looking at some cheap shafts on ebay that lacked it. I'd use the larger flanges I have (2", still not officially large enough at 2.6")
[ATTACH]25543[/ATTACH]
Sounds like those would be a bad idea.

Does it serve to keep the wheel from spinning on the shaft since that one side is held in place? If so, what if I have a keyed washer but then a larger flange that is not keyed?

I figure I could cut a notch on the inside of the flange and add a metal key that engages both the keyway in the shaft and the filed notch in the flange - just a short little key if it is important that the flange itself is keyed.

Any ideas?
Attachments
arbor.JPG
arbor.JPG (46.7 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Here is a 1" grinding wheel on the SS 5/8" Molder / Dado arbor, spacer removed. There is about 1/2" of shaft protruding, but it doesn't make it all the way through the nut, so it is up to you if that is a good fit. With the flanges that came with the grinder installed in place of the large washers, there is no shaft left.

[ATTACH]25544[/ATTACH]

Mike
Attachments
Dado Arbor w- Grinding Wheel.jpg
Dado Arbor w- Grinding Wheel.jpg (103.34 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

That's a big help.
One question: with the flanges that came with the grinder, do you mean there is no shaft left with the nut on, or without the nut... not any protruding from the flanges so the nut doesn't fit at all?

Thanks
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

This will not work with the shopsmith grinding wheel guard, it is too long and will not allow the guard to be mounted to the quill housing.:eek:
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

fitzhugh wrote:That's a big help.
One question: with the flanges that came with the grinder, do you mean there is no shaft left with the nut on, or without the nut... not any protruding from the flanges so the nut doesn't fit at all?

Thanks
There's about one thread left exposed with no nut. These flanges are for 8" wheels, smaller diameter wheels may have thinner flanges.

Mike
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

fitzhugh wrote:My 8 x 1 x 1 wheel just arrived. Silly me, I measured the wrong arbor and don't have one that fits. I assumed I had four 5/8" arbors and one 1 1/4" arbor. No luck - I've got three long shaft 1/2" arbors with craftsman blades and a buffing wheel on them, a SHORT 5/8" arbor with a master mechanic blade, and a 1 1/4" arbor with a shopsmith blade.

None of which fit the 1" thick wheel with it's 1" hole even with the 5/8" bushing it came with.

Can I use it with a metal bushing that steps it down to 1/2"?

Will the shopsmith 5/8" grinding wheel arbor hold a 1" thick wheel?

I called about the last question and wasn't left with a clear answer. He said there was 1/4" left - I assume he meant after a 1" thick wheel, and he said the nut itself is 1/4" thick. Since I'll need to put some blotter disks in there as well it just seems like there is not much room to thread on the nut. Anyone have one they can check for me?

Thanks!
One flange washer would have to be removed to allow the shopsmith grinding wheel arbor to handle a 1" wide grinding wheel.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com