Fine woodworking survey

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

brown_hawk
Gold Member

Post by brown_hawk »

Actually, the standards moved away from SS, as it was made for the home workshop before much of the tools made today. SS's problem is not bucking the standards, but making good quality machine that are still good 60 years later. Helps with the resale, but plays havoc with multiple sales as the old machines don't wear out.

And there are businesses out there that create aftermarket for the SS as well. Incra and JoinTech are but two.

Try trading parts between a DeWalt and a Craftsman sometime.:eek:

The real problem is that SS can't have the advertising budgets that the big players have, so there is no "Nick and Drew's Ohio Workshop" on the DIY channel.

The answers that SS has come up with are the Sawdust Sessions and the video tips on the internet. And starting to be on DVD. Keep in mind that SS mall demos were the precursor to the Woodworking shows. It will be interesting to see how soon others follow.

Good word of mouth never hurts either.

Hawk
Dayton OH and loving it! :D (Except they closed the store.:( )
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

bunky1950 wrote:Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending you your point of view, Shopsmith, like Apple, chose to design their tool to only accept proprietary components, thus making any aftermarket jigs and accessories incompatible.

Apple may have a great platform, but in the early going, little serious software was available for anything but graphics.

I wonder what success and popularity Shopsmith would be enjoying had the manufacturer not bucked the standards.
Bunky-

I don't totally agree with your observation. Teknatool markets a midi-chuck that also includes a spindle attachment that mounts onto the spindle of the Shopsmith. Incra markets upgrades for the Shopsmith. I'm sure that others in this forum could come up with other examples. What Shopsmith has been able to market is durability, the ability for the owner to make their own repairs, great customer service and support, plus a willingness to constantly offer upgrades to their system.

While I certainly enjoy looking at other tools (and who among us doesn't) the investment in the Shopmith line has proven to be cheaper for me than purchasing the latest and greatest tool on the market. I, for one, have not had any trouble in finding the jigs necessary to aid in my on-going woodworking education.

It still irritates me when the so-called serious woodworking publications (Wood, Shopnotes, Woodsmith, Woodworker's Journal, Fine Wodworking, etc.) don't even bother to list the Shopsmith, evaluate it, or include it in their surveys when they ask what woodworking tools you use or own. I think it is high time that Shopsmith is given the same shot in these magazines as other tool manufactuers.

BPR
jg300da
Gold Member

Post by jg300da »

Good points on both sides. Fine Woodworking is not geared to the hobbyist or homeowner/woodworker which represent a large portion of Shopsmith owners. It is geared towards the craftsman/artisan and those interested in their tecniques and tool choices. These are not Shopsmith users. Why feel slighted when Shopsmith reviews are not included? Shopsmith is an excellent product when used by those for which it was intended. And that's a compliment, not a shortcoming. I purchased mine in 1983 and haven't spent a single minute, other than normal cleaning/maintenace, repairing it. How many tools can you say that about? That doesn't mean that you'll find many of them in production woodshops or the shops of renowned craftsman.
I think this websites dedicated following and the fact that Shopsmith still produces this high quality machine all these years later is all the testimony the Shopsmith owner needs.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

bunky1950 wrote:Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending you your point of view, Shopsmith, like Apple, chose to design their tool to only accept proprietary components, thus making any aftermarket jigs and accessories incompatible.

Apple may have a great platform, but in the early going, little serious software was available for anything but graphics.

I wonder what success and popularity Shopsmith would be enjoying had the manufacturer not bucked the standards.

But Apple moved to Intel processors and since then more software has become available and their sales have skyrocketed. In fact during Christmas 2007 I heard CompUSA sold move Apple systems running Windows then OSX.

The point is you can be both propiretary and open.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

ryanbp01 wrote:Paul, I'm jealous. For me, retirement is a light that is so far at the other end of the tunnel that I've turned the light switch off to save energy!:D

BPR
That's funny, BPR!:D But don't get too jealous, or anxious! Let's see..... I've been retired 13 years and 5 Months now (had to count) and--- although it is wonderful, there are some bad things that come along with it. To list a few]enjoy everything[/U], even the tough times - and soon enough you will know when to retire! You won't even have to turn that 'light' on again! It'll automatically blink (flash) at you.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Some of you may have overlooked a special WOOD magazine publication a couple of years ago.

Two years ago WOOD published their first "America's Greatest Woodshops" special edition. Last year's issue got a lot more buzz though.

In the first issue, they featured two woodshops that used Shopsmith's as their primary woodworking tools. One woodworker actually built his woodshop around the use of his Shopsmith, and all his main tools are Shopsmith Special Purpose Tools. He even sized the building and built the shop's storage in his workshop around using his Shopsmith. There were lots of photos of these shops with Shopsmith's in them.

This year's issue hits newstands at the end of May, and features some small woodshops. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of Shopsmith's in this upcoming issue.

Last month's "Creative Woodworks & Crafts" magazine featured an article about a woodworker who also praises his Shopsmith, and you can see it in one of his shop photos.

So don't be to quick to overlook some of the special publications and articles. You may see our favorite woodworking tools in there. And I feel that is more of a compliment than having the Shopsmith in a tool comparison article. Afterall, what if the person comparing the tools doesn't like the Shopsmith and its accessories (doubtful, but it can happen) and gives it a poor review? How will you feel then?
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Sorry, I just had to make another post here becuase I noticed that once I push the post button, this will be my 100th post. So that is the only reason for this one.:) :) ;) Does this make me a platinum forum member?
Sawdust & Shavings,
bunky1950
Bronze Member

Post by bunky1950 »

In the spirit of full disclosure, I inherited my grandfather's Shopsmith. I didn't run (was wrongly told the motor was fried), it was a bit rusty and a few small pieces were missing. I've reconditioned it including sending the headstock back to SS for a once over and warranty.

After being retired for three years and for 15 years before, I sort of find myself leaning towards smaller woodworking projects, but still needing to break down sheet goods, surface rough cut lumber from the sawmill, etc.
qtndas01
Gold Member

Post by qtndas01 »

Shopsmith owners who have had there machines for a long time know the value and don't need some woodworking magazine for their approval. I remember when Norm first started the New Yankee Workshop. He didn't have all the extravagant equipment and used a Shopsmith. I'm sure that helped SS interest and sales tremendously as alot of people bought what they saw Norm using every week. Then he built the larger shop and got sponsorship from Porter Cable and Delta and started using all of their equipment. So Norm started the same way we have. The main difference we haven't gotten the sponsors or space and have learned to use our SS and accessories many ways to accomplish the same results!
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Writing about when Norm Abram started the New Yankee Workshop. Here are some fun facts.

The "Workshop" building is actually the original, and it wasn't built for the show. It was first used for a national gardening show shop/set that was shown on PBS stations. It is actually a two story building with a small office and lounge upstairs, which proudly displays some of the projects Norm has built over the years.

If you happen to get the chance to watch the earliest NYW programs (I have them on tape) you will see Norm using a Shopsmith. The NYW was equipped with two of them along with a cabinet table saw, radial arm saw, etc.. The one thing you will notice if you look carefully is that the Shopsmith logos were covered with red tape to hide them. I don't know the reason behind this, but it probably had something to do with product placement. During the end credits of these early shows you will not see Shopsmith listed as a sponsor, like they do for Delta, etc. now.

He also used them in a couple of episodes of "This Old House." I remember one when he went back to the shop to make duplicate turnings, and he used the Shopsmith with the duplicating accessory.

In 1989, about the time the NYW started, Norm and company published the first NYW workbook full of plans and how-to's. You will see photos of him using the Shopsmith in various modes, but the logo isn't covered.

Also while watching these shows and looking through the books I see that my shop pretty much started out just as well equipped as the NYW. As this show has grown, so has my shop. The difference is my shop has grown mostly with Shopsmith tools.

Why he doesn't use the Shopsmith's now? I have my own theory about this. As the show grew in popularity, more tool makers wanted their names shown, so they gave the show new tools to use free of charge and paid to have their tools on the show. At the time, I doubt the producers of the show would have wanted to turn down free tools (would you?), so over the first couple of years, the Shopsmith's were replaced with the other tools. I think at the time Shopsmith felt they didn't need, or want, to pay for product placement, so they and the NYW parted ways.

As an added bonus, Norm also thinks of the Shopsmith as the best woodworking drill press still on the market. I had the chance to meet him at a woodworking trade show and asked him if he still uses a Shopsmith. He said no, but added that the Shopsmith as a drill press is the best one he has ever used. He also said that all woodworkers should use the tools they are most comfortable with, and for the type of woodworking they do. He said, "If you enjoy using your tools, then don't be worried about what the woodworker down the street has in his shop, even if that shop is the New Yankee's".

Just some fun tidbits I thought I'd pass on to my friends here.
Sawdust & Shavings,