ShopSmith 10ER

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG40504 wrote:That widget is what I thought might be a ring master, but those pix reveal it most likely is not. There may more parts to it?
Now I'm wondering if it might be a sharpening jig for plane irons. I see a clamp with two screws (and a centering pin?) that could secure one, a rack and pinion that could move the iron transversely, and an angle adjustment that would let you set the bevel angle. Presumably for use with a conical disc sander. I can't figure out how one might mount the thing to the machine ... gotta think 10ER. Seeing if a plane iron even fits would be a good first test of this theory.
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

You may be right BD, in the second pic on the left side, it looks like that is the mounting area to a platform/wood base. Looking at the knobs, I dont think it is a SS item. SS back then I dont think they used too much in plastics.
In a personal question, BUT on ERs, the one I use for a vertical DP, I really have to gorilla the table locking lever so it does not slip on the way tubes. It was either MCKs site or the other one similar, there was a fix for the wedge in there that tightens on the tube if I am correct. I did not pay much attention to it at the time, Opinions on that ?
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
aginhouse
Silver Member

Post by aginhouse »

rbursek wrote: I dont think it is a SS item. SS back then I dont think they used too much in plastics.

I honestly don't think it is either. As I look at it more and more none of the hardware matches and your correct, I don't believe there should be any plastic if it were made by Shopsmith. Just doesn't fit the rest of the picture.

On a side note, I have started reading the owners manual and all the other online publications from VintageMichanery.org. Starting to get a much better understanding of her capabilities now.
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

You hear, you forget, you see, you know, you do, you understand!!!!
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
rcoder
Gold Member

identy

Post by rcoder »

I have one of the unidentified objects. I bought it from Sears a long time ago. It attaches to a grinder and is used to hold flat objects for sharpening. Screw driver blades, planer blades, flat turning chisels and on and on. I also use it with a truing tool to square up my wheels on the grinder and remove glaze. Very handy.

It is great for getting a hollow grind.

Bob
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

rbursek wrote: In a personal question, BUT on ERs, the one I use for a vertical DP, I really have to gorilla the table locking lever so it does not slip on the way tubes. It was either MCKs site or the other one similar, there was a fix for the wedge in there that tightens on the tube if I am correct. I did not pay much attention to it at the time, Opinions on that ?

The wedge(s) (depending on vintage) need to have a flat surface where it/they contact the tube. If a wedge has a groove or is deformed file it flat, it will work much better.

Also, after a recent thread mentioned the Gas Spring Table-Raiser I picked up a similar gas shock from Princess Auto (a bit like Harbour Freight I think) on sale for about $5.00. So far I have just wedged it between the pivot base and the carriage of my 10ER drill press, it supports most of the weight of the table and makes it easy to adjust it up and down. When I make mounting brackets I will post pictures.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Please do post pics Ron, that is my only complaint about the ER as a DP, moving that table up!!!!!! I sure wish there was/is a way to change the table screw crank/table raiser to use it that way when in the DP mode.
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Ron, I pulled the one out of my lathe one and I now see how they work, that one the wedge looks perfect. I will look at the one on my DP. On an other note, that handle for them is awkward to turn do to the slight angle on it. I was thinking of using something else, more 90*ish to the threaded shaft but see what it is now. Thinking of bending the handle to a more severe angle but looks like without heat that will not bend. Any thoughts/advice on that would be appreciated.
2centsworth
Gold Member

Skip has the solution...

Post by 2centsworth »

Skip from MKC Tools has a 10ER Rear Carriage Lock he makes that solves this problem. I have one of his carriage locks on my dedicated 10 ER drill press. They work great. Now all the pressure is of the wedge lock. :D

rbursek wrote:Ron, I pulled the one out of my lathe one and I now see how they work, that one the wedge looks perfect. I will look at the one on my DP. On an other note, that handle for them is awkward to turn do to the slight angle on it. I was thinking of using something else, more 90*ish to the threaded shaft but see what it is now. Thinking of bending the handle to a more severe angle but looks like without heat that will not bend. Any thoughts/advice on that would be appreciated.
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

2Cents,
I have seen that there, I got the impression that mounts on the other tube so you have a lock on both of them? I missed out on an ER on Cl that in the pics someone made a bracket out of aluminum that looked like a thinner saw tube carriage that was mounted between the table saw carriage and the tail stock. I figured it was to do the same.