Band saw installation

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

larryr52
Bronze Member

Band saw installation

Post by larryr52 »

ok, just bought a mark V, came with a bandsaw, I'm having problems getting the bandsaw on the same plane as the spindle on the headstock, the unit came with offset tubes, which doesn't seem to be addressed in the owners manual. If I put the the height adjustment collars on the lower part of the tubes, the saw won't go low enough to line up, if I put them on the upper part of the tubes, the tubes won't "bottom" into the casing. How is this resolved? I'm new at this, any detailed instruction appreciated.

Thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Are the 'tubes' inserted fully into the bandsaw? There is a stop.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

First off WELCOME to the forum Larry.
I'm knot sure about your procedure, but how about putting the collars on loose, then get the height set correctly. Which can be a pain doing one handed. Then loosen the set screws at the bandsaw and align the hubs. Tighten up all set screws
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
larryr52
Bronze Member

Bandsaw

Post by larryr52 »

the problem is that if I insert the tubes into the bandsaw all the way to the stops, put the collars on the lower part of the tubes, then the tubes won't go low enough into the power mount to align with the spindle on the headstock. Does that make sense or have I got the concept all wrong.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Can ya post a pic?
My offset tubes prevent them from dropping through the base holes. I don't have height adjustment collars on mine.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
2centsworth
Gold Member

Vertical or horizontal ?

Post by 2centsworth »

Which is the issue vertical or horizontal alignment ? Either way it is doable. Can you post a picture. I know we have members here who can solve this problem. :)
Jerry Penny
2centsworth
The Woodlands, Tx
SS 520 SN#518424 2000 (reversed motor), Shopsmith 10 E (shorty) fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER fully restored by Skip with DC motor, Shopsmith 10 ER (under going restoration), Greenie Shorty sanding station, Greenie Mini jointer station, SS Bandsaw power station, SS Planner, SS overhead pin router, SS Belt Sander, SS Strip Sander,, SS Jigsaw, SS Dust Collector, Ringmaster, and still having fun looking for more !
larryr52
Bronze Member

Bandsaw install

Post by larryr52 »

vertical Alignment
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

larryr52 wrote:ok, just bought a mark V, came with a bandsaw, I'm having problems getting the bandsaw on the same plane as the spindle on the headstock, the unit came with offset tubes, which doesn't seem to be addressed in the owners manual. If I put the the height adjustment collars on the lower part of the tubes, the saw won't go low enough to line up, if I put them on the upper part of the tubes, the tubes won't "bottom" into the casing. How is this resolved? I'm new at this, any detailed instruction appreciated.

Thanks
A bandsaw fitted with offset legs does not need the collars, remove them. The offset tubes seat on the offset and are locked into the Mark V's left side power mount. Vertical alignment is achieved by loosening the set screws in the bandsaw and raising the bandsaw to align the drive hubs then tighten the set screws. Front to rear alignment should be performed prior to vertical alignment.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
S Brian
Gold Member

Post by S Brian »

Just a thought. I hope you are trying to align the bandsaw to the upper spindle, rather than the lower high speed spindle.
Brian
Mark V-500 Purchased New In 1980, SS Bandsaw (free), SS Jointer, SS 6x48 Belt Sander (free), SS Storage Station (free), Powermatic 64A Table Saw, Powermatic 1140F Drill Press, Delta 46-460 Midi-Lathe, Delta Scrollsaw, Bosch 12" Dual Compound Miter Saw, MLCS Router Table w/Bosch Router, Penn State dust collector.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

S Brian wrote:Just a thought. I hope you are trying to align the bandsaw to the upper spindle, rather than the lower high speed spindle.
NWIH that would ever succeed!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange