520 fence alignment

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

magoo wrote:Curiosity finally won out over fear of taking the fence apart and not being able to get it back together again. The casting is cracked on the right side. Of course with a gap on the right it is out of line left. Here is the pic and only need one this time. Thank you everybody for all the help, suggestions, pictures, etc. It all helped. Does SS sell just the part that is broke?[ATTACH]26612[/ATTACH]
One of the 520's I bought came with an extra fence casting. If you are interested in it, contact me at the email below.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

magoo wrote:Curiosity finally won out over fear of taking the fence apart and not being able to get it back together again. The casting is cracked on the right side. Of course with a gap on the right it is out of line left. Here is the pic and only need one this time. Thank you everybody for all the help, suggestions, pictures, etc. It all helped. Does SS sell just the part that is broke?[ATTACH]26612[/ATTACH]
In the words of Inspector Clouseau, "Zee mystery is sol-ved!"
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

JPG wrote:A call to the mother ship will answer that!

Be prepared for sticker shock!:eek:
[/SIZE][/font]
Should be no sticker shock! Just grins:D SS will replace the part (Free) and give you a sticker so you can Fex EX the broken part back to them on their dime.

There is a wonderful warranty on Shopsmith parts. All you need is a phone call to their 800 number - a little wait and they will fix replace it!!:D :D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:Should be no sticker shock! Just grins:D SS will replace the part (Free) and give you a sticker so you can Fex EX the broken part back to them on their dime.

There is a wonderful warranty on Shopsmith parts. All you need is a phone call to their 800 number - a little wait and they will fix replace it!!:D :D
A nice ending indeed. Sure worth a try! Shhh about dropping off truck! Oh that was just a WAG.:rolleyes:

Nice to have Rob as a backup plan!!!!:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

JPG wrote:A nice ending indeed. Sure worth a try! Shhh about dropping off truck! Oh that was just a WAG.:rolleyes:
I shucks! Back when I got my first PowerPro headstock re-build. I opened the box and found the hub on the left hand spindle had been pushed into the headstock in past the eccentric. The result of rough handling!!! of course I mentioned that to Shopsmith as I personally saw the carrier roll the heavy box down the steps of his truck.

There was no problem when I sent that re-build back and got a free loner. When the new re-build was received, SS had made (came up with) a new improved packing system to ship PowerPro headstocks.

I have also requested and received other replacements of Shopsmith parts. They sometimes want the old part back, probably depending on the cost.

Buying stuff from Shopsmith pays dividends as opposed to picking up second/third hand. However, I have read on this forum where the same warranty has been given to folks having second hand machines.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
magoo
Silver Member

Problem is solved

Post by magoo »

I would like to thank everybody who responded and showed genuine interest in helping me solve this fence alignment issue. The problem was completely rectified today with a couple of emails, 2 hours driving, & 4 gallons of 93 octane. Would call that cheap for a 520 rip fence in almost like new condition.

I emailed the eBay seller I bought it from, explained what was wrong & attached the pic of the broken casting. Without hesitation he apologized & offered a free replacement if I'd drive down to get it. I almost felt guilty leaving that disassembled pile of junk with him a driving off with this jewel. It locked in square with the miter slot without any adjustments needed.

Thanks again to everybody that responded.
magoo
Silver Member

Post by magoo »

SDSSmith wrote:One of the 520's I bought came with an extra fence casting. If you are interested in it, contact me at the email below.
Thank you Rob. The eBay seller where I bought the SS replaced the entire fence with a good one free of charge except to drive 40 miles through Houston traffic to get it. He felt bad that he sold something that wasn't sound and I felt bad because the one he gave me looks like it might have been used
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

magoo wrote:Thank you Rob. The eBay seller where I bought the SS replaced the entire fence with a good one free of charge except to drive 40 miles through Houston traffic to get it. He felt bad that he sold something that wasn't sound and I felt bad because the one he gave me looks like it might have been used
Good to hear!

You might want to pass my email address on to the Ebay seller.;)
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
magoo
Silver Member

Post by magoo »

[quote="SDSSmith"]Good to hear!

You might want to pass my email address on to the Ebay seller.]

I will do that. He seems like really a good guy. Certainly treated me better than expected and better than I asked for. Pastor of a church in Friendswood, TX.