Pro Planer Purchase/Got Lucky

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

delong94 wrote:I'm looking at a mounted planer on CL, but it's missing some parts to in clude the rotating handle on top to set the depth and I think it's missing the mounting brackets. Does anyone on the forum have any parts available? Thanks,
V.
I have some brackets.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

delong94 wrote:I'm looking at a mounted planer on CL,...
Think I'd pass on it then. WHAT ELSE is wrong with it.
Last edited by beeg on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

I'm waiting for the owner to call me back... I haven't seen it yet. It's listed as a whole package deal at http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/4704223092.html. He wants to sell all the pieces at once and I asked him if he'd sell the planer separately.
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

The planer table looks odd in the photo.
John
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

rcplaneguy wrote:The planer table looks odd in the photo.
Just got a call last night from the owner... He's not willing to break up the package he has listed. It does look like the table for the planer is odd and that parts are missing based on the photo.
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

That looks like the original protective plastic sheet still in place on the planer table.
Bill
----------------
Mark V 520 50th Anniversary Edition, Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw
delong94
Gold Member

Re: Pro Planer Purchase/Got Lucky

Post by delong94 »

I'm going to look at this planer tomorrow (finally). I know it's missing the thickness adjustment crank based on talking to the owner. We'll see what happens.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re:

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:Back in 2008 we made an effort to fix one of those speed controls that had gone bad. We didn't have an EE on staff at the time so we had to make do with what we had and we got the job done. If I remember right it took only about $10 for parts........

Long thread but it was a fun project and shows how thing were here back then. If you have the time read it all.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2484

Ed
What do you suppose the outcome would have been had there been an EE an staff? :rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

Picked up the planer.... It did have the adjustment knob and brackets with it. It needs some TLC and a good cleaning. The table still had the protective plastic on it,
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

delong94 wrote:Picked up the planer.... It did have the adjustment knob and brackets with it. It needs some TLC and a good cleaning. The table still had the protective plastic on it,
Any ideas on how to remove the plastic coating on the table? It is cracked and not easily peeled off... Looks like the previous owners just left in on.
I thought of using a heat gun, but would that damage the table?
The Sawdust sessions on the planer have been helpful in cleaning it up.