Will a 510/520 Upper and Lower Saw Guard fit on a 500?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

br549
Platinum Member

Will a 510/520 Upper and Lower Saw Guard fit on a 500?

Post by br549 »

I am a newbie to this forum, and while I haven't been able to find the answer to my question, there seem to be a lot of very knowledgeable Shopsmith owners out there willing to share their experience, so I am hoping someone will know.

I have a Mark V 500 and am looking for a better upper saw guard that I will actually use. I have the original all aluminum upper and lower guard. The lower guard suits my needs pretty good, but the upper is just too hard to install and use. One option I am considering is just getting and installing the clear upper guard that is part of the saw guard "upgrade", since only the mounting block mounts to the table carriage and not the lower guard.

I have also seen a 510/520 upper & lower guard for sale and the seller says it also fits / works on a 500. Shopsmith Customer Service says it won't. With the standard 500 table, does anyone have any personal experience with putting a 510/520 upper and lower saw guard on a 500? Is it possible? What modifications (if any) are required?

And finally, of all the upper & lower saw guards out there, what type is favored and used most often by 500 owners?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Re: Will a 510/520 Upper and Lower Saw Guard fit on a 500?

Post by SDSSmith »

The guard will not work as a saw guard with the 500 table. It can be used with a sanding disc off table with the 500 table.
pete444
Bronze Member

clearance between drive sleeve bearings and gilmer clutch housin

Post by pete444 »

Also in san diego. Newby with a greenie SN334548 trying to find drive sleeve bearings in SD. Can your help find them. thanks Pete
Last edited by pete444 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

pete444 wrote:Also in san diego. Newby with a greenie SN334548 trying to find drive sleeve bearings in SD. Can your help find them. thanks Pete
VXB.com

6205zz 25 x 52 x15 mm
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Yes and No.

No: due the guards being made larger for the larger aluminum Table. There is a smaller distance between the table legs on a 500 with the cast iron table.

Yes: if you replace the carriage assembly (wider one) and replace the table and fence.

There is an upgrade kit to take you from a 500 to the 510, even the 520.

The cost is significant from Shopsmith. The cost is even significant with used parts on eBay.

Take a look at the following two upgrades and what they include:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... grades.htm

What you may want to look at is the 500 lower saw guard

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... wguard.htm

Lower Saw Guard Upgrade For Model 500 Mark V's with Serial Numbers Below 222396

Upgraded Lower Sawguard For More Efficient Dust Collection
This is the upgrade you want if you have a plastic lower saw guard with a 1-1/2" dust collection port. Provides dual 2-1/4" ports for more efficient dust collection.

For Mark V Model 500's with serial numbers below 222396.

That should get you started on your journey.

Check out this as well and look at the side by side table, carriage, and fence comparisons and options.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690

I purposefully created threads for those individually so that relevant discussion pertinent to each could stay connected in the respective thread.

They are:
Mark 7 - Mark V 500 - Tables - Side-by-Side
Mark 7 - Mark V 500 Carriages - Side-by-Side
Mark 7 - Mark V 520 with 510-505 and 500 Rip Fence Comparison
Mark 7 - Mark V Miter Gauge Assembly

I think that will get you both the answer you seek, and perhaps a course of direction you can pursue to achieve what you are wanting.
pete444
Bronze Member

bearing clearance beween the gilmer clutch ?

Post by pete444 »

going to get new bearings today. how much clearance should I have between the gimer clutch housing and the bearing ?