Ideas for this Nice Piece of Wood

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Maro2Bear
Silver Member

Ideas for this Nice Piece of Wood

Post by Maro2Bear »

Greetings all. After a bit of a hiatus on my SS due to many overseas moves and storage issues, I'm back in action and getting back into things. During my unpacking, I came across this nice piece of what looks like Black Walnut or some other well grained, heavy, hardwood. Seems perfect for a good small project. It's about 3 x 3 x 4 inches in size.

So, any good ideas out there, note the splits and heavy graining issues.

Attached is one pix to give you all an idea what I have to work with.
Attachments
Project Ideas?
Project Ideas?
image.jpg (177.64 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
----------------------------------------
Mark B.
Glenn Dale, MD, USA 20769
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Ideas for this Nice Piece of Wood

Post by JPG »

No suggestion other than thin CA to the splits for starters(to hopefully keep them from expanding).

Then, what do you need?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Bandsawn into smaller blanks, with the splits filled with turquoise or something, it looks like it would make a nice set of matched bottle stoppers (4) or pens(8).

Gary
Maro2Bear
Silver Member

Post by Maro2Bear »

Gary, JPG

Thanks guys, yes these are the types of "other" ideas that I'm looking for. I was thinking of taking the dado blade and remove plenty of the center lengthwise to make a business card holder; or an iPad prop, etc. The wood has nice grain and will look that much better sanded and finished up.
----------------------------------------
Mark B.
Glenn Dale, MD, USA 20769