Which CNC machine do you use want

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

benush26
Platinum Member

Which CNC machine do you use want

Post by benush26 »

Do have a CNC machine or have an opinion as to which one you would buy? Yes I understand that cost determines many things, but dirt cheap to Warren Buffet petty cash, any and all ideas, opinions are welcome. Please no flame wars! If someone posts something about which you fervently disagree, please state your disagreement, but no nastygrams.

I see some incredible designs on this forum and others. Though I've started playing with hand carving, I will not come near the quality that I see when done by CNC machines.

Each site I look at seems to,have a bias towards one brand or another.

If you know of a review (or maybe you have posted a review), that link would also be appreciated.

Be well,
Ben
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Which CNC machine do you use want

Post by reible »

I'll second that request.

I have a feeling my wallet will not be happy with something to fancy but I'd entertain reading about them anyway.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
neal560sl
Gold Member

Post by neal560sl »

I have recently been looking at tha Carvewright and used Craftsman Compucarve machines, but would like to know if anyone has firsthand experience. I like the ability of being able to do longer boards for signs etc.
Neal
Mark V 500, Mark V 500 Power Pro, SS mounted Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Nova G3, Universal Tool Rest
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Ben, Ed,

A few summers ago I designed and built a medium size (18"x51" + can cut over air if I want to do some end work) machine. I had toyed with the idea for 3 or 4 years prior. I took about a year plus, when I decided that I could actually do it and could afford it, to research (lots of time on CNCZone.com), rough design, ID parts, acquiring some used components (my linear rail is extreme overkill for my machine but was cheaper than many DIY solutions and should last for however long I use it). I ended up using a wooden design as basic inspiration, but significantly modified the design to reflect better structural and movement components. Once I started buying the main parts, it took probably in the neighborhood of 80 hours to build the mechanical side (to include figuring out exactly how I would build specific components). My frame is 80/20 extrusion, so I had to learn on the fly how to precisely cut (miter saw), drill, tap, assemble, attach other stuff, etc. I had probably another 40 hours figuring out and setting up the electrical parts. My actual progress was pretty slow calendar wise as I did this on weekends during the hottest summer on record in Oklahoma, so could generally only get a few hours in per weekend. All told, the machine side cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000-2500, roughly 50-50 mechanicals/electricals. A comparable sized commercial machine would have cost at least 3-4 times that amount at that time. While I so enjoyed the building process, if I had it to do all over, I would look real hard at a full kit from cncrouterparts.com; I bought several components from them, but they didn't quite yet have full kits when I built mine. I would also look at some of the small ~12x12" hobby machines that are now available (Shapeoko comes to mind) at much less cost; most of the projects I've done have been smaller in size.

I would recommend steering clear of any commercial machine that uses proprietary design software and carefully consider any that uses proprietary computer to machine interface software; especially the Carvewrights which, besides highly proprietary software have a history of mechanical issues. In fact, there are so many good kit type offerings today that I would recommend a hobbyist not buy a commercial machine and either build one from scratch or buy an unassembled kit; if you can't figure out how to at least assemble one from kit, you probably aren't at the skill level to operate/maintain/troubleshoot/repair one. I don't think any Shopsmith users would fall into that latter category; with the exception of dealing with electronics (simple wire soldering and ensuring wires are properly connected, e.g., following instructions), maintaining/repairing a Shopsmith is about equally difficult. CNCZone's community is supremely helpful at any troubleshooting of the computer to CNC interface, assuming that you use the Mach 3 software (a bit lesser for the LinuxCNC software due to less use).

Unfortunately, once built, the costs are only the beginning. Next comes software, which could set you back a few hundred to a few thousand dollars (Vectric stuff is great by the way), a shop computer to operate the CNC, router bits, precision collets, router bits to replace the ones you break (hint, don't jump into using expensive bits until you have your machine very well tuned and you know what how to properly operate it -- I've only broke one 1/4" straight bit, but I've read of others who go through a bunch while learning), design files, material to test on (blue foam insullation sheets are great for learning/practicing/trying new designs), upgrades to this or that component, and so on. I think it is as bad as woodturning.

Sadly, my machine has been buried under stuff since I bought a laser. I hope to have some new storage/organization stuff in place in the next couple months so I can clear it off get it back up and running by late winter or so.

Sites I recommend reviewing:

cnczone.com - find the DIY wood CNC subforum, lots of build logs, Q&A, some projects

vectric.com - you can download demo versions of all their software, they have a fantastic forum where people post their projects

Roy
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Neal,

I've only seen a couple people who have been able to modify (significant as I understand) and use the Carvewrights well and could get consistently good results. I think the Sears machines were an early version that had a lot of issues and would avoid them at all costs (maybe other than free).

As I understand, these machines use highly proprietary software, save files in proprietary formats meaning that you can't take your design files to another format should you later choose to upgrade. Not sure if they can import any types of design files (.dxf, .dwg, etc.).
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Laser engraver
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Coincidentally this popped up on my YouTube suscriptions yesterday

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9HI5P7Lqo[/youtube]

Still too rich for my budget but could be worth looking into.
An open source design,It uses an Arduino proccessor and open source software.

More info is available at Inventables.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I see that there is a new ShapeOko coming out in a month or so, version 3. The new beefier extrusion looks like this will likely be a serious tool for smaller stuff. The pass through design allows theoretically infinite length by using indexing. $900 bucks for all hardware and electronics except a $100 trim router for a spindle sounds like a heck of a deal to me.

I also see that they point to an entirely free set of software: Inkscape, makerCAM, and Universal Gcode Sender to design, establish tool paths, and send the resulting gcode to the machine. These particular tools appear to only support 2D flatwork, but can't complain about the price.
Roy

Laser engraver
henecle
Gold Member

Post by henecle »

Very happy with my Carvewright... :)
Leif

1981 Mark V Model 500 "Shorty"
1981 Mark V Model 500 "Drill Press"
1987 Sawsmith 2000 Ultra
2005 Mark 7 PowerPro Model 520/Bandsaw/Jointer/Pro Planer/Belt Sander/Scroll Saw/Jigsaw/Strip Sander/Universal Tool Rest/Speed Reducer/DC3300/RingMaster/Mortising Package/MiterSled 5000/Biscuit Joiner/Grinding Wheel Guard/Nova G3 Chuck/Lathe Duplicator/SS Air System
2010 Lumber Smith sawmill
CarveWright CNC

"I wish I could remember everything my Dad taught me"
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Ben,
I have had my CarveWright CNC for a couple of years and IMHO there is nothing out there, in it's price range, that can match it. With this machine, and the software available for it, you are only constraint is your imagination, or lack there-of. As with any precision machine there is a learning curve and a high maintenance schedule to keep it running. This will be true with any CNC.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Many Thanks to everyone who offered their opinion(s)!! :)

My BIL is looking at taking up a hobby which is looking more and more like playing with 3D printing. Because much of the software used in CNC is also used in 3D I find I am drawn to both as a next step into the unknown.

Frankly I still have not a clue which model(s) of CNC to try and narrow it down to... :confused: , but have found a few CarveWright and ShopBot users willing to sell their machines at significant savings to me. Through the forums, it appears that the older CarveWright systems (2 to 4 years) had withstood the rigors of use much better (but then again it might be better maintenance schedules).
The ShapeOko is more along the price range I was looking (especially if I also try and squeeze in a cheap 3D printer :eek: ) [Purchase is planned on fall 2016]. If the CNC market is moving as rapidly as the 3D market (though it doesn't seem like it), the longer I wait, the better the equipment.
When Roy wrote about his laser, I thought back to my search into those and ruled them out as WAY too expensive, however a friend found a really high end used one in Canada and we would share the cost and use.
Dang I need to win the Lottery!! ;)

I still need to reclaim my shop space before I can seriously consider a CNC machine, but have been "assured" that ALL the crap will be gone by May. Not holding my breath, but maintaing hope!! :D

Again thanks to everyone!

Be well,
Ben