A SAFE SHOP is a TIDY SHOP

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

A SAFE SHOP is a TIDY SHOP

Post by dusty »

Accidents can always find a place to happen but they often occur in an area that is cluttered and in disarray. I hope that most of you don't know what that is like. There was a time when I could have said "{Not my shop. It is always neat and orderly".

No more. I have been working on the RV and the shop has become just a place to cut something and then back to the RV. My oldest commented that "This just does not look like your shop. Do you need help getting organized"?

No. I don't need help but I do need to stop working in that mess and make it a place to "Make Sawdust Safely" once again.
Attachments
Hazardous Shop 001 (Large).jpg
Hazardous Shop 001 (Large).jpg (996.14 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: A SAFE SHOP is a TIDY SHOP

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I agree... Mine looks very much the same nowadays, right down to the Folgers can. Big plans this weekend to fix all that!
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Unfortunately my shop always seems to look like this. I typically give it a thorough clean up once or twice a year but in no time it is in total disarray.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote: . . . I have been working on the RV and the shop has become just a place to cut something and then back to the RV.
. . .
Translation ? :rolleyes:

I have been too busy getting work done to have time to be a neat freak. ;)

:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote: . . . I have been working on the RV and the shop has become just a place to cut something and then back to the RV.
. . .
Translation ? :rolleyes:

I have been too busy getting work done to have time to be a neat freak. ;)

:D
I know you are not serious. That sort of rationalization just gets us in trouble. I have begun the recovery process.

I spent this morning just gathering up tools and putting them back where they belong, oiling tools that need oil (pin nailer, etc and trashing the obvious trash. The area is still in turmoil but I have eliminated most of the trip hazard (unused extension cords, cords plugged in that need not be, etc).

Cut myself with a band saw blade that had been hung over the headstock of the Shortly. This goes back to when we were discussingthe resaw blade with Forrest. I took an old blade (declared DOA) off of the one machine and installed my Shopsmith 1/2" blade for test comparisons.. There hung the old blade until now.

I see that there are a couple wrenches missing off my tool board. Strange the things you notice in pictures that are disregarded otherwise.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Dusty you have no grasp of the whole concept of mess... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
My woodshop isn't too bad, just not together enough yet but my farm shop is a whole other world... :eek: :eek: Waaaaaay too much of a catch-all. I hope to change that as soon as it warms back into the 30's and 40's before too long. These below zero nights are leaving too much cold behind to even try to have any safe heat in there now.
A son-in-law just gave me a big stack of decent used plywood from a job and between that and what I will be able to saw on the Woodmizer in a few weeks I will be able to change the whole picture in that shop. Adding here that I am feeling far better than I have for most of the last year and ready to get started...

About that aluminum Z vise on your bench... Do you always use it with the clamp screws up on top of the bench? I don't think I ever have but I can see where it might be an advantage on some benches with limited room to turn them below.

Did anyone see the TV show about the place that makes thousands and thousands of pins for timber frame buildings? They were working in about 4" to 6" of shavings on the floor and almost never cleaned them up. They said that it was nice and soft... :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

robinson46176 wrote:..... Did anyone see the TV show about the place that makes thousands and thousands of pins for timber frame buildings? They were working in about 4" to 6" of shavings on the floor and almost never cleaned them up. They said that it was nice and soft... :D.....
Matthias Wandel said he always had several inches of sawdust in his old shop, and that he missed it because it was soft.

I'll bet it is soft, but..

1. I am constantly dropping nuts, bolt, washer, etc on the floor.
2. That's a lot of fire starter.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

robinson46176 wrote:Dusty you have no grasp of the whole concept of mess... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
My woodshop isn't too bad, just not together enough yet but my farm shop is a whole other world... :eek: :eek: Waaaaaay too much of a catch-all. I hope to change that as soon as it warms back into the 30's and 40's before too long. These below zero nights are leaving too much cold behind to even try to have any safe heat in there now.
A son-in-law just gave me a big stack of decent used plywood from a job and between that and what I will be able to saw on the Woodmizer in a few weeks I will be able to change the whole picture in that shop. Adding here that I am feeling far better than I have for most of the last year and ready to get started...

About that aluminum Z vise on your bench... Do you always use it with the clamp screws up on top of the bench? I don't think I ever have but I can see where it might be an advantage on some benches with limited room to turn them below.

Did anyone see the TV show about the place that makes thousands and thousands of pins for timber frame buildings? They were working in about 4" to 6" of shavings on the floor and almost never cleaned them up. They said that it was nice and soft... :D
No, that is not a typical application for me. I moved it here to do something, I don't even remember what, and have not mopved it back. The zvse has several different configurable positions, however and they all seem to be functional.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty