Project that might push me to buy a panel saw (system)?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Project that might push me to buy a panel saw (system)?

Post by reible »

The aircraft carrier is nice but.

BTW I have already spent that money plus some for what I have. Picture adding a second 520 system to yours, that's plus.... or so I have been told.

I have a second 520 and I purchased extra extension tables for each one. I have the front/back extension brackets for each one, as well as 5 foot tubes, then I can add on a floating main table and a rear extension table before I start with flip top stands etc.

However those days of lifting plywood sheet goods to the shopsmith are long gone. Bad back declared those times null and void. Now I can throw in age and lack of desire to work harder, left with working smarter.......

If others want to see some other "big table" ideas look for some of my old posts for a few ideas.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:The aircraft carrier is nice but.

BTW I have already spent that money plus some for what I have. Picture adding a second 520 system to yours, that's plus.... or so I have been told.

I have a second 520 and I purchased extra extension tables for each one. I have the front/back extension brackets for each one, as well as 5 foot tubes, then I can add on a floating main table and a rear extension table before I start with flip top stands etc.

However those days of lifting plywood sheet goods to the shopsmith are long gone. Bad back declared those times null and void. Now I can throw in age and lack of desire to work harder, left with working smarter.......

If others want to see some other "big table" ideas look for some of my old posts for a few ideas.

Ed

OK Ed, I certainly understand that. I am not there yet (only 67). My wife is a wood worker so I have help in the shop. Those pictures were taken 6 or 7 years ago when we were working in the garage. Now that we have a dedicated shop we have a Powermatic PM2000 with a 52" fence.

However, I broke down lots of plywood that way. It works just fine as I guess you know.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Spent some time today reading over everyone's ideas and doing more reading and still not any closer to having a clear picture on what I want to do.

I know what ever I pick (or it could be I choice nothing) it will have to be a compromise to what I'll like to end up with. What I would really like is a decent shop space.

As it is I have no real shop space, I do have room to store the tools but work is relegated to the driveway unless it is a small project.

This means that what ever I pick it I have very limited room to be stored. This was my thinking about a plunge saw and track section(s). That would take up very little additional storage space but allow me to use the driveway like always. OK I might have to build a saw horse system to be off the ground level but that too could fold away or even disposed of at the end of the project.

That issue of a shop space is not likely to improve as I don't see any funding for an addition for a shop happening nor do I see me getting rid of a bunch of tools that I already own. Oh yea the elephant in the room is living on a fixed income in retirement.

I guess I could look into sub-contracting the main base case cabinets out to a shop and then just do the modular inserts myself. Have a feeling the cost will exceed the cost of $500 I have arbitrarily set for a cutting system. They will want me to use their plywood etc etc. and I will be left without a panel system for the next project....

Hate to say it but I might be better off going to a big box store and buy the generic stuff they sell and be done with it. Oh no what am I saying!

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Hey Ed,
Could I suggest a different approach?

Consider how many projects you could reasonably make using the driveway as your shop in the next five years. Besides the one you have in the starting gate, now many would make use of the time and effort to pull out the panel saw when you bring materials back. My body lets me know that my mind has no clue as to what my body can successfully start and finish (finish being the operative word) :p
The limited income forces me to rethink what I will try (though I often over rule the accounting department to buy something REALLY special) :D . As we survive the maladies of getting older I think it is okay to consider something that makes us enjoy life as making us happier and healthier than some of the medications we are supposed to take. Frankly I get to be like a little kid again when the UPS/FedEx driver pulls up.

Will you have fun with it and will it (or the results it makes) bring a smile to your heart? That is the true price tag.

As the sun is setting and you are putting away your tools would you have rather had someone else do the cutting or are the results (and the ache in the muscles and bones) making you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

Thirty years ago I was director of a little ski school. I made squat for money and came home with aching knees, a sun/wind burned face and never had a day off from Thanksgiving to Tax Day. Fifteen years later I was running multi million dollar projects, made significant money and had paid vacations (though seldom time to tale them :rolleyes: ). Which do I miss the most?

When I create something from wood, I feel good about just waking up and getting to do more and from what I've read of your posts, so do you.

My advise on whether to buy a track saw, have someone else do the cutting , etc, ...Figure out what makes you happy, how to afford it and don't look back!

Just my 2 cents (less with inflation)

Be well,
Ben
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Ben,

Outstanding advice! I have been asked why I own Festool equipment, why I bought the PPro upgrade for my Mark V, or why I buy hand tools Starrett, Woodpecker, and Bridge City Tool Works. The answer is I just enjoy using quality tools. I have a cheap combo square but it never gets used because when I reach for a combo square I go for my Starrett and smile when I place it on the wood. I make a mark on a sheet of plywood, lay down the guide rail and line up rubber strip with mark, put saw on rail and cut, very little dust and cut is always true. So, I agree with Ben, do what makes you enjoy working wood more and don't look back.

Jack
BTW I am 59 but lost my right hand when I was in junior high so getting older has slowed me down a bit more than if I had two hands when it comes to lifting etc. I used to throw a sheet of 3/4 ply ion my Mark V and cut it. If I tried that now someone would get hurt....
benush26 wrote:Hey Ed,
Could I suggest a different approach?

Consider how many projects you could reasonably make using the driveway as your shop in the next five years. Besides the one you have in the starting gate, now many would make use of the time and effort to pull out the panel saw when you bring materials back. My body lets me know that my mind has no clue as to what my body can successfully start and finish (finish being the operative word) :p
The limited income forces me to rethink what I will try (though I often over rule the accounting department to buy something REALLY special) :D . As we survive the maladies of getting older I think it is okay to consider something that makes us enjoy life as making us happier and healthier than some of the medications we are supposed to take. Frankly I get to be like a little kid again when the UPS/FedEx driver pulls up.

Will you have fun with it and will it (or the results it makes) bring a smile to your heart? That is the true price tag.

As the sun is setting and you are putting away your tools would you have rather had someone else do the cutting or are the results (and the ache in the muscles and bones) making you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

Thirty years ago I was director of a little ski school. I made squat for money and came home with aching knees, a sun/wind burned face and never had a day off from Thanksgiving to Tax Day. Fifteen years later I was running multi million dollar projects, made significant money and had paid vacations (though seldom time to tale them :rolleyes: ). Which do I miss the most?

When I create something from wood, I feel good about just waking up and getting to do more and from what I've read of your posts, so do you.

My advise on whether to buy a track saw, have someone else do the cutting , etc, ...Figure out what makes you happy, how to afford it and don't look back!

Just my 2 cents (less with inflation)

Be well,
Ben
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

reible wrote:
Hate to say it but I might be better off going to a big box store and buy the generic stuff they sell and be done with it. Oh no what am I saying!

Ed
Ed, have you checked out the hardwood plywood selection at Menards.com? It's pretty extensive. For example, you can buy a full sheet of 3/4" Baltic Birch for $78, which is the best price I've found. Also oak, maple, cherry, walnut, etc. See http://www.menards.com/main/c-13334.htm. If you drill down to a particular product, you can download a detailed PDF spec sheet. Order online, and then they ship the sheets to a store of your choice at no extra charge.

Once at your local store, I presume that you can have them break down the sheets to your specs on their panel saw, at little or no charge. I haven't seen Menards' price for this service, but at my local HD, the first two cuts per sheet are free, and are only $0.50 per cut thereafter.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Well Ed as usual this forum seems to be full of very good advice. Having my sheets cut up for me just makes thing go better for me. I am physically capable of schlepping around full sheets and have a dedicated TS that will chop them up just fine but have never been able to see the point. It's a serious time saver and a lot easier on the body. It's the same concept as getting your solid stock straight lined and surfaced. Good luck in this project and keep us posted !
Paul
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Once at your local store, I presume that you can have them break down the sheets to your specs on their panel saw, at little or no charge. I haven't seen Menards' price for this service, but at my local HD, the first two cuts per sheet are free, and are only $0.50 per cut thereafter.
Our Lowes never charges to make cuts. Their panel saw isn't perfectly squared, but it's good enough for breaking it down into manageable pieces.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

kablerj wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote: Once at your local store, I presume that you can have them break down the sheets to your specs on their panel saw, at little or no charge. I haven't seen Menards' price for this service, but at my local HD, the first two cuts per sheet are free, and are only $0.50 per cut thereafter.
Our Lowes never charges to make cuts. Their panel saw isn't perfectly squared, but it's good enough for breaking it down into manageable pieces.
Neither is HD's, nor their RAS.

Nor are any employees 'allowed' to correct that! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

If you own a circular saw I would go the Eureka Zone route. If you want a new saw I would go makita or Dewalt route. If you want the very best just because it is the very best then go the Festool route.

Having your sheet stock pre cut is a great idea but I would only have cabinet grade plywood shop cut it. The cuts from Home Depot or Lowes are only slightly better than I can do with chain saw.

Any one that tries to muscle sheet stock on a home saw setup (Shopsmith or other) is sooner or later going to hurt themselves or mess up some expensive sheet stock. Guided saw method is the only sane way to go unless you have access to a $30,000 panel saw. My opinion.