Almost Weekly Blog

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Almost Weekly Blog

Post by charlese »

Was a busy week in this shop. Started by emptying the DC. Did I ever say I hate that job? Well this time I waited too long and the thing was FULL!! Shouldn't have said "Ill just wait until I finish this part of the project" One thing I re-discovered was the usefulness of that folded bag and the bulge on the back of the plastic. When the bag was unfolded there was enough excess plastic to close it with one inch of plastic to spare.

Finished another shutter this week. HVLP sprayer is working great!

Had a little time on Saturday, so turned out a toothpick dispenser. Got the idea from the latest Wood Mag. Had a piece of walnut that I ruined for a pepper mill by cutting out a deep part where it didn't belong. Although it was too small for the size shown in the mag., I went after it anyway. As it turned out the shape of the top is about the only thing that resembles the magazines sample. Saw no need for the fancy finial they used, so made a smaller handle.

Serviced the Mark V yesterday. Installed a new drive belt. Amazing how mush better it sounds now. Also is is a little slower. The old belt was just slightly under 1/2" wide, but had stretched over the years and at high speed was right at the top of the lower sheaves. The new belt fit right on specs and no speed adjustment was needed.

[ATTACH]1705[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1706[/ATTACH]
Attachments
HPIM1806.jpg
HPIM1806.jpg (109.23 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
HPIM1807.jpg
HPIM1807.jpg (108.23 KiB) Viewed 5525 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
jbillups
Gold Member

Post by jbillups »

very nice... i wish i could be doing lathe work... truth be told my shop is still a ways away from being ready to make anything. oh well.. setting the shop up is half the fun
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Turning Out nicely, if I say so myself!
Chris
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

NIce work

Post by kd6vpe »

Charlese,
What a great idea. I really like that little thing. Is there a disk of wood at the bottom of the dowel that pulls the toothpick up with the top? I have some scrap about that size that I want to try to do the same with. It would be useful.:)
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Nice project, Chuck! Nice fit on the top! I saw that plan also and thought it was, at the moment, beyond my capabilities. I think you've now inspired me to give it a try sometime. Thanks!

Gary
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

kd6vpe wrote:Charlese,
What a great idea. I really like that little thing. Is there a disk of wood at the bottom of the dowel that pulls the toothpick up with the top? I have some scrap about that size that I want to try to do the same with. It would be useful.:)
Actually there's a little cup on the bottom. The plans said to drill a 1 1/4" hole 3 3/8" deep. My holder was too narrow for this, so I drilled a 1" space. Then turned a 1"+ cylinder about 1 1/4" long. Then sanded the cylinder so it fit into the 1" hole in the holder. Drilled 5/8" diameter, 1/4" deep into the end of that cylinder. Then drilled 1/4" - 1 1/4" deep, to hold the dowel. Parted the cylinder to leave 1/2" and eureka! - there's a 1/4" deep cup with a 1/4" thick bottom. The sides are very thin but it works, and beats the dickens out of digging into a box of picks!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA