Shopsmith Air Compressor System

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

delong94
Gold Member

Re: Shopsmith Air Compressor System

Post by delong94 »

I was able to get the manual for the newer compressor. Thank you.
Also, does anyone know if the new compressor model takes any type of lubrication (oil)? I did not see anything about it in the manual? There is one plug located on the top of the compressor. Was wondering what that was for.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

delong94 wrote:I was able to get the manual for the newer compressor. Thank you.
Also, does anyone know if the new compressor model takes any type of lubrication (oil)? I did not see anything about it in the manual? There is one plug located on the top of the compressor. Was wondering what that was for.
Does not the manual define both answers?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

No mention of oil at all... I thought it would take some.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

I aquired the SS air system some time back. In all the research I did, it is my understanding that it is an oil less compressor. The electric version of this compressor is the PowerPal MT310006. There are a few model numbers close to this one that incorporate the same compressor parts. It's a hit or miss situation on parts, some being discontinued.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

All diaphragm compressors, which the SS is, are oil less I believe.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

The early Magna compressor is a diaphram, but the later Campbell Hausfeld is twin opposing piston.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

pieceseeker wrote:The early Magna compressor is a diaphram, but the later Campbell Hausfeld is twin opposing piston.
If that is the case then it must have a crank shaft and case to drive the pistons and would require oil lubrication. I have never heard of a compressor that small that was a piston compressor. Even all the pancake compressors are diaphragm and most of the 30 gal and under compressors sold by every body (oil less compressors) are diaphragm and noisy as all get out.

Please provide details of this Campbell Hausfield piston compressor. This is very interesting.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
delong94
Gold Member

Post by delong94 »

There is a hex key cap on the top of the compressor (newer model). I can't losen it or open it.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

jsburger wrote:[
If that is the case then it must have a crank shaft and case to drive the pistons and would require oil lubrication. I have never heard of a compressor that small that was a piston compressor. Even all the pancake compressors are diaphragm and most of the 30 gal and under compressors sold by every body (oil less compressors) are diaphragm and noisy as all get out.

Please provide details of this Campbell Hausfield piston compressor. This is very interesting.
PowerPal MT series.pdf
(463.49 KiB) Downloaded 2780 times
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

MT310006_(1997).pdf
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 2459 times