Zyliss Vise

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

keakap
Platinum Member

Re: Zyliss Vise

Post by keakap »

I think this may predate widespread use of electronic instructions. d.[/quote]

LOL! Got to thinkin, and realized my Zyliss predated the INTERNET!
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

JPG wrote:
claimdude wrote:I just picked one up off ebay and it is an original Zyless Vice in original box with manual in english and sweedish never used for $64 shipped.

Jack
???????
???????--- Aw, c'mon, we all have our little vices, but at least his are without zy!
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

This thread is a little strange in the fact that no one except Roy in OKC has mentioned, or at least I think he mentioned that his came with all the accessories including the "adjustable do hickey". There are "Two distinct or possibly more original Zyliss vises. If you look at my previous post, that shows the jaws mounted up side down, the left jaw has a brass insert in bottom. This is the "Adjustable do hickey" Roy was referring to I think.

It has a button on top that you depress to release the left jaw so it can be adjusted to the work piece without cranking it over. It's a super modification that eliminates a lot of cranking. The ones you see on eBay sometimes don't show which model you are bidding on. The only reason I point this out is if there are some members contemplating buying one, take this in to account to determine what it is worth. I think the later model is much more desirable and worth more cash.

Don G
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dgreen810 wrote:This thread is a little strange in the fact that no one except Roy in OKC has mentioned, or at least I think he mentioned that his came with all the accessories including the "adjustable do hickey". There are "Two distinct or possibly more original Zyliss vises. If you look at my previous post, that shows the jaws mounted up side down, the left jaw has a brass insert in bottom. This is the "Adjustable do hickey" Roy was referring to I think.

It has a button on top that you depress to release the left jaw so it can be adjusted to the work piece without cranking it over. It's a super modification that eliminates a lot of cranking. The ones you see on eBay sometimes don't show which model you are bidding on. The only reason I point this out is if there are some members contemplating buying one, take this in to account to determine what it is worth. I think the later model is much more desirable and worth more cash.

Don G
I am uncertain as to what constitutes "a later model". I have had mine for many, many years and mine has the quick disconnect that you refer to. Yes, that quick disconnect is very convenient and it significantly reduces the amount of cranking required (if you make use of it).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

dgreen810 wrote:This thread is a little strange in the fact that no one except Roy in OKC has mentioned, or at least I think he mentioned that his came with all the accessories including the "adjustable do hickey". There are "Two distinct or possibly more original Zyliss vises. If you look at my previous post, that shows the jaws mounted up side down, the left jaw has a brass insert in bottom. This is the "Adjustable do hickey" Roy was referring to I think.

Don G
I got lucky on mine. :) (But not as lucky as the guy in your carving! ;))
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

dgreen810 wrote: This is the "Adjustable do hickey" Roy was referring to I think.
Don G
I was referring to the turntable as a do hickey. I had to go look at the current manual, https://www.advmachinery.com/manuals/Zvise.pdf, to figure out what it was called. Mine came with everything mentioned in this PDF except the metal jaws and not sure about the tube clamping jaws.

While I was watching eBay, I found that there were a few different combinations sold over the years, looking like there had been a basic kit and an expanded kit or two during its lifetime.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I knew that mine was a different brand but couldn't recall what. I just looked and it says Work Shops'. They called it a "Vunder Vise". I tried taking a picture but there was so much clutter (what... me with clutter :rolleyes: ) it didn't show up well so I Goggled it for a better picture. I bought mine from an older friend about 40 years ago when he was selling his house and going into a condo. He had a garage sale and he sold it to me for $20. I've used it for all of those years, sometimes pretty heavy and it has held up well. It has the stuff in the picture except for the thingy in the front that looks like a putty knife. Mine also came with another set of plastic jaws that are like "V" blocks for round stuff.
At that same sale I bought a "new in box" Shopsmith Maxi Clamp system for around $10 or $20... I still have it and it is still complete.
rsz_work_shops_vunder_vise.jpg
rsz_work_shops_vunder_vise.jpg (34.27 KiB) Viewed 15057 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

I have had a need for the lower "Soft" jaws for my vises for several years and just never pursued trying to locate any until this thread got my attention. The only ones I have been able to locate were at Advance Machinery. I ordered some and found that they would not fit the vises. I called them and found these were the only ones available. Option one was to return them, with postage eating up half of the purchase price or making them work. I am sure there must be others out there with the same problem.

I milled 4 slots in the aluminum jaws to accept the locking tabs on the new jaws. They now snap into place as they should. One of these vises I know is the latest model, one would think there jaws would fit, but they don't.

Don G
Attachments
IMGP4133.JPG
IMGP4133.JPG (111.36 KiB) Viewed 15007 times
IMGP4134.JPG
IMGP4134.JPG (92.52 KiB) Viewed 15007 times
IMGP4136.JPG
IMGP4136.JPG (106.6 KiB) Viewed 15007 times
IMGP4137.JPG
IMGP4137.JPG (108.9 KiB) Viewed 15007 times
IMGP4139.JPG
IMGP4139.JPG (127.2 KiB) Viewed 15007 times
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I'm doing some more work on my old bench and one of the things I will do is make two attachments for the bench so I have more places that I can attach this vise. I can currently mount it on the right end and the front edge but I am adding an apron to the front and it will not allow mounting the vise there. One attachment will be a removable front rail that will hold the vise mounts.
I am also building a full length recessed tool tray across the back (I never could mount the vise on the back) and that will allow mounting the vise there.
The apron (but not the bench :rolleyes: :) ) will look like this. (Picture is from Pintrest)
Wood bench apron.jpg
Wood bench apron.jpg (74.85 KiB) Viewed 14967 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

Great bench!