IP camera questions/help

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

IP camera questions/help

Post by reible »

Hi,

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing, I'm having issues which are beyond my expertise.

I have a couple of IP camera set up and they work fine for me. I can see them from home (PC, tablet, smart phone etc.) I can see them from away from home on a smart phone and every thing seems to be working fine.

I use firefox as my browser and have never been a fan of or used internet explorer much. The problems seem to stem from the activex connections.

Background

So for fun I decided to let some of our family have access to the camera I have pointed out towards the back 40 (feet that is). It turns out that the fun is not so great when anyone using internet explore is try to view the camera.

It uses activex and even I can't seem to get it to work here at home. (As a work around if you tell it that you are a phone you get the picture but if you try to use activex you just get a blank picture.) This is OK but you have no control of the things like the pan and tilt features of the camera.

Those using firefox have no problems, and neither do phone/table users with native browsers or firefox apps.

Details are as follows, it is a Foscam FI8916W. Both the firmware and UI are the current release. Since it is an IP camera I have set up logins for the family members and given them names and passwords. The user side the login appears to work but you never see any images. When I check the log file from the camera it does not show that user name having ever been logged in.

Not being an internet explore person I have no idea what is happening nor can I assist those family members who use IE.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: IP camera questions/help

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:Hi,

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing, I'm having issues which are beyond my expertise.

I have a couple of IP camera set up and they work fine for me. I can see them from home (PC, tablet, smart phone etc.) I can see them from away from home on a smart phone and every thing seems to be working fine.

I use firefox as my browser and have never been a fan of or used internet explorer much. The problems seem to stem from the activex connections.

Background

So for fun I decided to let some of our family have access to the camera I have pointed out towards the back 40 (feet that is). It turns out that the fun is not so great when anyone using internet explore is try to view the camera.

It uses activex and even I can't seem to get it to work here at home. (As a work around if you tell it that you are a phone you get the picture but if you try to use activex you just get a blank picture.) This is OK but you have no control of the things like the pan and tilt features of the camera.

Those using firefox have no problems, and neither do phone/table users with native browsers or firefox apps.

Details are as follows, it is a Foscam FI8916W. Both the firmware and UI are the current release. Since it is an IP camera I have set up logins for the family members and given them names and passwords. The user side the login appears to work but you never see any images. When I check the log file from the camera it does not show that user name having ever been logged in.

Not being an internet explore person I have no idea what is happening nor can I assist those family members who use IE.

Ed
I have 3 D-Link cameras here and use Firefox. I don't have an answer to your issue but here is how things work here. As you may or may not know Firefox does not support ActiveX. The D-Link cameras let you set the connection to either ActiveX or JAVA. I just logged into one of my cameras with IE and set the connection to ActiveX. Then I logged in to the same camera with Firefox set to JAVA and had no problem. The video came through in both browsers at the same time. I also went to IE and changed the feed to JAVA and that worked also.

Does not your camera settings allow you to set the default connection to either ActiveX or JAVA? The D-Link cameras do and IE works fine with JAVA, no need for ActiveX.

If you want to see two of my cams go to the Weather Underground web page (www.wunderground.com) and search for the ZIP code 84315 (Hooper,UT). My personal weather station (PWS) is called Eagle's Lair. The station ID is KUTHOOPE1. The National Weather Service web sit also has one of the cameras up. I don't know if they put the second one up.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
bffulgham
Gold Member

I've got Foscam models FI8910W

Post by bffulgham »

I've got a couple of Foscam FI8910Ws. The initial screen on the web interface for these looks like this:
foscam.jpg
foscam.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
It seems to work as advertised for Chrome and Firefox if I select "server push" and works fine with the mobile phone selection for my android devices.
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm set up using DDNS. My connection is dynamic so this is the cleanest way to do it. When you connect to the address you see this:
auth screen.jpg
auth screen.jpg (19.31 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
After you complete the page are taken to this screen:
second screen.jpg
second screen.jpg (28.4 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
If you select the push option and you are using firefox things work fine. Logged in as administrator you see this:
camera image.jpg
camera image.jpg (110.05 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
If I try to do the same thing from IE it looks like this:
ieview.jpg
ieview.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
I can't change anything or see any images.

BTW the weather cam stuff is just single captures and not live video right? This is what I see in IE:
ieut.jpg
ieut.jpg (66.81 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
The other camera from firefox:
utfox.jpg
utfox.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Yes, the weather cams are snapshots. However, when I logged in directly from my laptop on my local network as I said in the above post it is live video with audio. I was logged into the same camera at the same time in both FF and IE. FF uses JAVA and does not support ActiveX as you know. I switched between ActiveX and JAVA in IE and it worked fine. Again with live video. BTW, the D-Link app on my phone is live video also.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

But your selection screen says to select ActiveX for IE. You seemed to indicate you were selecting Server Push in IE. :confused: :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

jsburger wrote:But your selection screen says to select ActiveX for IE. You seemed to indicate you were selecting Server Push in IE. :confused: :confused:
I'm attempting to use activex and IE because that is what a few members of the family have on their PCs. They can't get it to work and I can't either.

If while using IE you pick the phone selection you get to see the picture in this format:
iephone.jpg
iephone.jpg (80.22 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
Which works as you can see. Selection of server push does nothing in IE.

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:
jsburger wrote:But your selection screen says to select ActiveX for IE. You seemed to indicate you were selecting Server Push in IE. :confused: :confused:
I'm attempting to use activex and IE because that is what a few members of the family have on their PCs. They can't get it to work and I can't either.

If while using IE you pick the phone selection you get to see the picture in this format:
iephone.jpg
Which works as you can see. Selection of server push does nothing in IE.

Ed
I think you have to install ActiveX to be able to use it. When I was trying to get ActiveX to work with FF (you can't) I found out that ActiveX is an MS piece of crap. FF does not support it. As I remember (don't trust my memory) I think I had to install it to get it to work in IE.

FWIW, MS has announced they are totally dumping IE. I wonder if they can come up with another browser that will rival FF.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT