T-Nut change?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

krusty
Gold Member

T-Nut change?

Post by krusty »

I ordered a pack of T-Nuts with my new Mark 7 and this is not what I was expecting. Could they have sent me the wrong item? I didn't see anything else on web site.
Attachments
New t nut
New t nut
image.jpg (50.77 KiB) Viewed 10137 times
algale
Platinum Member

Re: T-Nut change?

Post by algale »

Depends on what you ordered.

Here's the "Sliding T Nut": http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... turesC.htm

And here's the "Sliding T Bolt": http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... turesD.htm

Obviously you received the latter.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

krusty
Gold Member

Post by krusty »

I didn't know there was two different types. Thank you!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I did not know that either. I would not want one with a permanent threaded stud.

Sliding T-Bolts (4)

Sliding T-Bolts with permanently mounted, 1-1/2" long, 5/16-18 threaded studs.

555911 Sliding T-Bolts (4) ... $20.28
(Item may be on back-order or is made upon ordering)

I do have some that do not have all three holes threaded. These are the first ones that I ever received. I have ordered others since and they are all threaded.

SHOPSMITH Please consider making some changes in the catalog to make it obvious that there are options.

A simple search for "t-nuts" yields part number 514491. As it turns out, there are also "t-bolts" (555911).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

krusty wrote:I didn't know there was two different types. Thank you!
Did you receive the extra parts that are shown in the image posted by algale? Did you order t-nuts or t-bolts? Shopsmith may have shipped the wrong item.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

:o "T-BOLTS' are 'news' to me also. :p

I am curious what they look like from the 'back'(i.e. that permanent mounted detail).

I notice the omission of tapping in the outer holes.

IMHO(and I presume Dusty's) A threaded stud in the tapped center hole would be preferable to the permanent one. Then they could be used either way(with the added hardware) and be able to have different lengths.

So, if ya have nuts(T-variety) a threaded stud will convert them to bolts(T-variety).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
krusty wrote:I didn't know there was two different types. Thank you!
Did you receive the extra parts that are shown in the image posted by algale? Did you order t-nuts or t-bolts? Shopsmith may have shipped the wrong item.
If he got a package of four I would assume the wrong part # was used'

Doubt the 'extra' parts were included with his order.
t_bolts.jpg
t_bolts.jpg (163.42 KiB) Viewed 10059 times

BTW Admin, 1 1/20 length????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
krusty
Gold Member

Post by krusty »

So after looking at my order details and everyone's comments, I wanted the T-Nuts, the descriptions on order states T-Nuts but the part number is for T-Bolts. They already forgot to send them in main order so I just ordered the Nuts today. Hopefully I can find a use for these although the stud is very short.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote::o "T-BOLTS' are 'news' to me also. :p

I am curious what they look like from the 'back'(i.e. that permanent mounted detail).

I notice the omission of tapping in the outer holes.

IMHO(and I presume Dusty's) A threaded stud in the tapped center hole would be preferable to the permanent one. Then they could be used either way(with the added hardware) and be able to have different lengths.

So, if ya have nuts(T-variety) a threaded stud will convert them to bolts(T-variety).
The first picture is the T Bolt from the Flip Stop fence extension rail. My guess is that it predates the sale of the stand alone T bolts. I have had the flip stop rail for a long time. As you can see the outer holes are smooth as they have roll pins in them.

The second picture is of my home made T Nuts. I just use a piece of threaded rod the appropriate length and stake it in place. I was making them before SS came out with theirs. I also like the 1/4-20 stud for most things.

BTW the stud length on the flip stop rail T Bolt stud is 1 1/4" long. Not sure how that compares to the stand alone variety.
Attachments
IMAG0084.jpg
IMAG0084.jpg (141.37 KiB) Viewed 10001 times
IMAG0085.jpg
IMAG0085.jpg (120.13 KiB) Viewed 10001 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT