Need ideas for what to do with redwood slice

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

WmZiggy
Gold Member

Re: Need ideas for what to do with redwood slice

Post by WmZiggy »

My house was sided in Redwood when it was built in 1980. You cannot buy it any longer, although I think decorative slabs like yours are still on the market. So you have wood that is more difficult to come by every year. I would not burn it, and if a clock doesn't "chime you bell", you are looking at a wonderful end, coffee, or game table top. If you don't have the space, sell it to someone who does. That wood is just waiting for an oil finish to make it pop, and yes you might have a very good market in Michigan.
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

Thanks for the comments. Part of the problem is that it is, of course, all end grain which makes for a rather 'dull' pattern. However the 'all end grain' should make for some nice cutting boards. Still thinking. And, no, I don't think I will be burning it up in the fireplace! It will be become something or somethings.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

That slab would make a beautiful corner shelf. Since two sides are somewhat at 90 degrees, it would take just a little furring of the walls.

It would also make a cute little desk with carefully finished rough wood cabinets above.

Don't know why you would be concerned by end grain!!! For a table or a clock, you could either leave the bark and finish it, or remove the bark and finish the vertical grain around the edge. I'm sure the phloem and any parenchyma has completely dried up by now and appears as wood.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

I have a friend in AZ who recently made a coffee table out of a slab that appears to be larger than yours. His too was end grain. When finished the end grain really made the project. That said, no two are alike. As to a cutting board, I would think Redwood too soft for that purpose.
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

There was also a great chunk of redwood on eBay - a slice of a burl finished as a table top! It looked awesome! And had a price to match ($1K or thereabouts). But that was a burl and had a lot of character.

I don't know - the bigger problem (re. going with a table top et al) is that I don't NEED a table top! Or a shelf. Or, for that matter, another cutting board (although I don't think that having a 'soft' cutting board is a problem - you are trying to protect your blade edge so soft is not a problem).

I do need to do something. Still thinking.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think we all have seen these slices of wood, be it what ever kind, displayed with the growth rings tagged as to some important points in time/history. If you have kids or grand/great grand kids or just wanted to donate such a project to a school or other such institution that could be a wonderful use of it I think.

Yes it would be some work determining the age but I'm sure it could be done and would be a great leaning experience in and of itself.

So there is my thoughts on the subject.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
paulsgreenbarn
Gold Member

Post by paulsgreenbarn »

Being that it's Redwood i'd probably us it outdoors.Do you have a garden or patio? Use it to decorate either or even the yard.Put some legs on it made from small logs or limbs ,or just prop it up to show it off.you're kind of limited for indoors uses,it seems to me at least.