SS Index Quill lick

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

WmZiggy
Gold Member

SS Index Quill lick

Post by WmZiggy »

Has Has anyone tried the new quill index mechanism recently offered in email by the mother ship? Runs $39 plus postage. Interested in a review.
algale
Platinum Member

Re: SS Index Quill lick

Post by algale »

You mean this? http://shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/ ... handle.htm

I have it and in my opinion it offers greater convenience and improved performance over the old-style handle. With my old handle, I could never get it tight enough and the three positions it offered were not always in the right place for the job. I find this new handle much easier to position than the old handle, it offers more flexibility in positioning and it holds with complete security. No more re-tightening. I recently had to drill 156 holes in the seat frames for my canoe and the handle performed flawlessly. I suggest you buy an extra hub adapter so you can move the handle from side to side easily.
WmZiggy wrote:Has Has anyone tried the new quill index mechanism recently offered in email by the mother ship? Runs $39 plus postage. Interested in a review.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

My review is an exact ditto to the one by algale. Except for the canoe part.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
drl
Gold Member

Post by drl »

Love mine for the reason(s) algale posted. I do have the extra hub--quick and easy switch. Ordered it the day it was first released.
Regards,
Dwight
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

Thanks for the feedback. I will purchase it.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

You won't regret it. Remember to buy the extra hub/
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm sorry but I don't love this handle. It is OK for what it does but I didn't really have any issues with the existing one and after using the old one since 1976 it is just habit.

If you do get it the one feature I like is how fast you can change from side to side so the handle is on the side you want it to be. This requires that you get the more expensive option with the hubs for both sides.

Be warned it sticks a lot father out then the old handle, both good and bad feature. It does get the handle farther away from the powerpro control panel and the headstock lock, but, it also seems to get in the way for other projects.

I don't think any of the rest of my machines will get this update.

Just wanted you to know that not everyone is elated, it just passes muster but that is about it for me.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I was thinking I'd get one adapter and handle and use my three handled one on the back side. It won't be in the way back there. Anyone see any problems with that?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I personally think the drill press handle will get in the way unless you are using the setup in drill press mode...... but you can give it a try and see how you feel about it after some use. Not sure what the advantage would be to have both on at the same time.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

The advantage to me is I wouldn't misplace it if it's on the machine. :)