router table tight fit

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: router table tight fit

Post by algale »

dusty wrote:
wdelliott wrote:I wonder if anyone has this problem. When I mount my router table (555865) between my main table and the extension table, the fit is exceedingly tight. the two hubs (1 inch square) on the edge of the main table seem to block or hinder the fit.

I was thinking of creating an insert space on my router table to accommodate the two hubs so that my fit would be not so tight.

Any thoughts on how to make my fit a little easier?
I don't believe I understand the issue here. Why can you not just move the headstock and carriage away from the extension table an inch or two (or whatever)?

A picture with the tables in the interference mode would help.

The square "hubs" went away when Shopsmith redesigned the table (the mold for the old table was worn out) and I wish they had never done that. I prefer the tables with the square hubs. I believe the change was for ease of manufacturing and had nothing to do with utility of the tables.
Why do you prefer the tables with hubs? I've often wanted one without the hubs so I could snug the fence rails between the main table and extension/floating tables.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

My previous post with table dimensions were for my Pro Fence Router Table, not the Shopsmith main table. The dimensions did not include the rails.

Mike
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:
dusty wrote:
wdelliott wrote:I wonder if anyone has this problem. When I mount my router table (555865) between my main table and the extension table, the fit is exceedingly tight. the two hubs (1 inch square) on the edge of the main table seem to block or hinder the fit.

I was thinking of creating an insert space on my router table to accommodate the two hubs so that my fit would be not so tight.

I don't believe I understand the issue here. Why can you not just move the headstock and carriage away from the extension table an inch or two (or whatever)?

The square "hubs" went away when Shopsmith redesigned the table (the mold for the old table was worn out) and I wish they had never done that. I prefer the tables with the square hubs. I believe the change was for ease of manufacturing and had nothing to do with utility of the tables.
Why do you prefer the tables with hubs? I've often wanted one without the hubs so I could snug the fence rails between the main table and extension/floating tables.
I can understand why you would want to be able to do that.

I do not have a really good reason for preferring the hubs.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote:

No pictures necessary. I just came in from the shop where I took some measurements of the space between the inside edge of the extension table and the left hand edge of the main table (the space where one would mount the router table). It is a rather close fit. Much closer than I had thought.

I did notice one thing that might help. The extension table can be mounted two different ways. It might be that by remounting the extension table using the alternate set of holes you would have more room.

Relocating the the extension table provides an additional 3" of space between the main table and the extension table (one method compared to the other).
Attachments
Table Clearance 002 (Large).jpg
Table Clearance 002 (Large).jpg (836.83 KiB) Viewed 4129 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
wdelliott
Gold Member

Post by wdelliott »

Algal has described the situation correctly and kindly posted the photos similar to my situation. The square nubs shown in his photo are what I'm seeing in my 520.

The tight fit is only when when I insert the router table between the main table and the fixed extension table. The tubes slide smoothly, once I have proper fit and alignment on the rails. My problem is just squeezing that table in between the main table and fixed extension table. Yes, the main table is moved to the left to the maximum extent. In all other set ups, such as when the router table is on the outside (and not in between), set up is smooth.

Now that I reflect on Algal's comments, the tight fit is the result of the 520 rails on the router table are just a bit too tight, and thus, perhaps long.

I loosened the bolts underneath the fixed extension table and reset the table, which had the effect of moving the table slightly, every so slightly, to the outside. This helped.

Thanks everyone. I'll keeping working on it.
wdelliott
Gold Member

Post by wdelliott »

Dusty, I just posted a reply to Algal, but you are correct also. I loosened the bolts, pushed the fixed extension table every so slightly, to the outside, and this opened everything up by just a bit, which seems to help. The margins are tight, but this little move helped.
wdelliott
Gold Member

Post by wdelliott »

As I review my question and everyone's answers and additional questions, I begin to wonder if I would not be better off using my router table at the end, with the telescoping legs for stability, instead of trying to fit the router table between the main table and the fixed extension table.

One advantage I could see of this idea is that I could continue to use the table saw and have the router table ready at all times, during work.

When the router table is inserted in between, then I'm not able to use the table saw, and thus, I have to remove the router table, use the table saw, and then setup the router table again.

Thanks for the idea.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

wdelliott wrote:As I review my question and everyone's answers and additional questions, I begin to wonder if I would not be better off using my router table at the end, with the telescoping legs for stability, instead of trying to fit the router table between the main table and the fixed extension table.

One advantage I could see of this idea is that I could continue to use the table saw and have the router table ready at all times, during work.

When the router table is inserted in between, then I'm not able to use the table saw, and thus, I have to remove the router table, use the table saw, and then setup the router table again.

Thanks for the idea.
I think using it on the left (or right) side is a fine idea.

The reason I cut up an INCRA router table to fit within was because I have the INCRA TS-LS for the SS and wanted to use the Wonder fence when routing. It "would" be possible to have the router table on the left side and still use the fence but it becomes more cumbersome than I wanted.

Moving the table to the left side is what I use when it is just a router table.

The main difference is I do not use the rail assemblies, but instead just set it on the 1" connecting tubes. The weight of the table has been enough to not need a way to fasten it.

I did route out the ends so that it does fit flush against the main table.

Be well,
Ben
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Sorry, forgot to add last night...
If you do set the table in between the main and extension tables if you set a 2by on top of the headstock then lower the main table so it just touches the wood (or guesstimate that distance) you should have enough clearance for your router (I have a Triton 3 1/2 and using that zx4 as a spacer I have about 1/2" clearance)

Be well,
Ben
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am not understanding this issue at all. My Shopsmith router table measures 19" wide and if I move the headstock all the way to the left (leaving some room so that the shafts or hubs do not rub), I have 22 1/4" of space into which I can mount the router table. To achieve this clearance you need to remount the extension table as I mention earlier in this thread. Without remounting the extension table, there is only about 19 1/2" of space (a tight fit).

Simple solution (it seems). Remount the extension table.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty