Laptop

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Laptop

Post by garys »

Do you ever sit in your recliner with your laptop on your lap and find that the laptop and the lap get a bit too warm for comfort. I found a simple solution for that.
I find that laptops last a lot longer if they run cool, and many of them have air vents on the bottom that needs to be open for proper cooling.
This is my solution to the problem. I made this little stand using a piece of juniper (aromatic cedar for people who don't know what juniper is) and a set of Rockler's bench cookies and standoffs. The rubber pad on the bench cookies keeps the laptop from moving around and the standoffs keep it up for good air flow. Rockler had a picture of their bench cookies supporting a laptop in one of their catalogs, so I don't get all the credit for the idea. I just added the support board to mount them.
The support board has a handle for easy carrying.

These are the bench cookies and risers, but you need to order them separately to get 4 risers instead of 2.
http://www.rockler.com/bench-cookie-plu ... kie-risers
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Laptop

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Good idea!
timsturnings
Gold Member

Post by timsturnings »

Great idea and a nice looking utility piece. I am going to put one or two of them (one for SWMBO and one for myself) on my to-do list.
Thanks, Tim.
Seven days without turning makes one weak. :o
1952 Shopsmith 10er(restored)with Speedchanger,1952 Craftsman 10" table saw,Jet 1014 lathe(VS),HF VS 95607 Lathe,Craftsman Drill Press,55 Gal. Tornado Dust Collection System,Shop Wide Overhead Vac piping,WC slow-speed grinder,Wolverine sharp. system,Grizzly GO580 14" Bandsaw,Rikon Disk/Belt sander,HF Pressure Pot, JB 7 CFM Vac pump,TurnTex Stabilizing Chamber. (My 16' X 20' shop is full to the gills)
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

If you don't need the extra height of the risers, you might be able to save a little by using Lee Valley Bench Pucks. Or any hockey puck with some non skid material glued to it.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.a ... at=1,41637

Mike
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Yes, any kind of non-skid "puck" would work. With the Rockler bench cookies, the standoffs are separate, so if you wanted less height, you could omit the standoffs and mount the bench cookies directly to the wood panel with a short 5/16" stud. That would still allow air flow under the laptop which is the goal.