Non Woodworking Question

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Re: Non Woodworking Question

Post by rjent »

JPG wrote:
rjent wrote:
JPG wrote:PM received. Will call later. You are two hours earlier than me(or three)?
I am in Mountain time. If I don't answer, I am just in the shop and will call back! :)
MDT? ;)

UTC(GMT) - 7?

EDT - 2?

Unless I hear otherwise, I assume they are ALL correct. ;)
Absorootry :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Not tonight Dick. :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
cadman57
Gold Member

Post by cadman57 »

What a memory lane topic - cant help much on the printer language but used to use all those dot matrix jobs in the day.

Out of college in 1977 I wanted to be involved in NC programming because I thought the tighter tolerances and automated duplication of parts would be a plus someday for most manufacturing companies. I did all programming - including lathes with cutter comp trigged out by hand with calculator and typed everything in on a beastly machine called a Friden Flexowriter, which then transferred what was typed into a punched code on a paper or mylar tape. This tape program ran the NC machine ................ loved it.

Moved to Spokane in 1978 to work for a company that was just getting DEC computers and learned UNIAPT programming which was leaps and bounds better, but the computers where large PDP8's and they had computer disks about 18"-20" in diameter - no kidding!!!!!!!!! Back in the day.

Soon we were able to verify the NC tapes on a Tektronix unit that plotted the tools center points for all tool paths on the greenish screen.

Then AutoCAD (2.5) and on to UNIGRAPHICS for CNC programming with 5-axis machines and robots .............. finally ending up with 3D Solidworks and still enjoy using that today as my favorite design package.

Have been toying with the idea of building a CNC router for wood plaques, etc. but no time and no room - shopsmith equipment works just fine for anything I attempt to design and build.

Blessings to all - it is nice to remember the good ole days sometimes.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well that explains both the Cadman and the 57. :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

cadman57 wrote:What a memory lane topic - cant help much on the printer language but used to use all those dot matrix jobs in the day.

Out of college in 1977 I wanted to be involved in NC programming because I thought the tighter tolerances and automated duplication of parts would be a plus someday for most manufacturing companies. I did all programming - including lathes with cutter comp trigged out by hand with calculator and typed everything in on a beastly machine called a Friden Flexowriter, which then transferred what was typed into a punched code on a paper or mylar tape. This tape program ran the NC machine ................ loved it.

Moved to Spokane in 1978 to work for a company that was just getting DEC computers and learned UNIAPT programming which was leaps and bounds better, but the computers where large PDP8's and they had computer disks about 18"-20" in diameter - no kidding!!!!!!!!! Back in the day.

Soon we were able to verify the NC tapes on a Tektronix unit that plotted the tools center points for all tool paths on the greenish screen.

Then AutoCAD (2.5) and on to UNIGRAPHICS for CNC programming with 5-axis machines and robots .............. finally ending up with 3D Solidworks and still enjoy using that today as my favorite design package.

Have been toying with the idea of building a CNC router for wood plaques, etc. but no time and no room - shopsmith equipment works just fine for anything I attempt to design and build.

Blessings to all - it is nice to remember the good ole days sometimes.
What amazes me, are the number of high tech jobs, and industries for that matter, that were created by the industry for all of us that just a few years before would have been considered science fiction... The boomers came through at least in one area .... :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Guess that leaves me out! I ain't no boomer! :(

Born 7 years too early. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

WANDERING WONDERING :confused: :D

Not understanding more than one or two phrases above (it's all been Greek to me). I've stayed tuned to this thread to see if Red achieved his goal to get his Brother printer working to produce "bar code like stuff" (his words).

Not that I care, even a little, that such printer code manipulation is possible, I just like to see all the freely offered, unselfish, outstanding expertise from outstanding Forum members. Nice work, Guys!

This is really quite amazing - Here are a bunch of folks - WOODWORKERS - interested in using Shopsmith woodworking tools, who also posses skills and knowledges that guys like me can only read with wonder!

My brain gets tired thinking of the numerous subjects that younger folks are exposed to. I wonder how much can be adsorbed (learned) and what simple things have been left by the wayside while the new stuff is soaked up.

Hope you got it done, JPG!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You sound like John Jacob Niles(look im up),

What amazes me, is that apparently there is a way to circumvent that major obstacle called Windows O/S.

Convoluted and grossly indirect, but it will be a while before 'the results are in'.

Rjent and I have been PMing the past couple of days and plan on more direct communicating in a couple of weeks.

I want to publicly thank him for all he is doing.

After looking at some stuff he has sent, I may have to use an XP computer. As usual some 'stuff' that makes windows almost tolerable has disappeared in W7.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

JPG wrote:You sound like John Jacob Niles(look im up),...
Yeah, a regular structure of lyrics, fit for a ballad. Folksy at that.

Just like a cherry that had no pit.
Or a thimble that has no end,
Or a baby with no cry-in.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

JPG wrote:You sound like John Jacob Niles(look im up),

What amazes me, is that apparently there is a way to circumvent that major obstacle called Windows O/S.

Convoluted and grossly indirect, but it will be a while before 'the results are in'.

Rjent and I have been PMing the past couple of days and plan on more direct communicating in a couple of weeks.

I want to publicly thank him for all he is doing.

After looking at some stuff he has sent, I may have to use an XP computer. As usual some 'stuff' that makes windows almost tolerable has disappeared in W7.
No thanks necessary, I think of all of you guys every time I use my beautiful 10ER or any of my Shopsmith machines. I have made well informed choices because of this site and it's people. The knowledge here is astounding, I am glad I can contribute just a little back.

JPG, did those DOSBOX configurations in that SUPERUSER link do any good? They are specifically for Windows 7 and 8 ...

I know you are busy, just curious ... :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild