510 to 520 upgrade

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I still use a 510, which I bought new in 1995. I am completely satisfied and have no plans to udgrade at this time.:)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

I don't know if it is worth the money, that is a personal decision. But, I have upgraded two different 510's to the 520 table and rail system. The first thing I like is the way the tables lock to the rails (pushing the connector tubes up into the aluminum extrusion)......it is very consistent and solid (don't have to worry about the tables sliding on the tubes). The second thing is the fence....it feels solid and locks solid. The added t-slots allow for more easily attaching fixtures to the side of the fence. And, I enjoy the direct read scales.

I think every upgrade I bought was during the Xmas sale during a free shipping event. Shopsmith seems to be shying away from the free shipping events lately.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

If you can get to a Traveling Academy you can see a 520 in action and make a more informed decision.
drnewton
Silver Member

Post by drnewton »

So I *think* I have a 500. I only have one fixed table and no floaters. (I bought it used--the serial number puts it in 1985 range.)

I was looking at the 520 upgrade and was just flabbergasted. It looks like it's primary purpose is to expand the working surface in table saw mode only...but at nearly $1K, I can get a decent cabinet saw. Am I missing something?

Also one thing, in particular, that I hate about the shopsmith table saw is the short distance to the blade on the table. Has there ever been any options to increase the table size length-wise to alleviate that
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Thw extension table and floating tables do just that for the 510 & 520. :) The main table on the 510 is also larger. Same table that is used on the 520.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
drnewton
Silver Member

Post by drnewton »

I don't understand--the main shopsmith page says the max support area for the 500/510/520 are all 22" deep !??
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi drnewton,

You may have the 505. It uses the same main table as the 510. The 500 tables are only 18 3/8" deep. There are a couple of options for "lengthening" the table. With the 510 or 520 table system, you can use the connector tubes and floating tables, along with the support legs, in such a way as to increase the table length. Or you can buy SS part #555997 which is a kit that lets you use your floating tables, with support legs, for infeed and outfeed tables. With the 500, you can buy SS part #505626 to increase the front of the table 7". SS also offers a "support table" that you can use for outfeed: For the 500 part #555306; for the 505/510 part #555307; for the 520 part #555784. Another route is to devise your own infeed/outfeed tables.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
drnewton
Silver Member

Post by drnewton »

Just measured my table. 13 and change by 18 and change. Guess that's a 500.
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

Okay...if the upgrade bug bites you, hang on dearly to the old 500 carriage and table. Go to the thread Mark V 500 carriage and see how to recycle. Dusty was kind enough to post my pictures.

Sure took care of the gripes you have....and added some nice roll around adjustable tables to my shop. I love 'em.

Doc