Jointmatic height adjustment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

richardrouse
Gold Member

Re: Jointmatic height adjustment

Post by richardrouse »

This one definetly has the crack... I'm wondering if it would be possible to fabricate a new table out of aluminum plate.

What is the ball park size on that table?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

How about an angle iron top?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

JPG wrote:A shame they abandoned the dual screw design.(a cost reduction effort I presume)
That would be my guess as well. Sometimes progress is not so good.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
richardrouse
Gold Member

Post by richardrouse »

angle iron would work as well. and would be a little cheaper than aluminum plate.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

The JDS Multi-Router is the way to go. Pricey but the perfect solution for the same thing the Jointmatic does and will last two lifetimes.

http://jdstools.com/product/multi-router/

If I did a lot of mortise and tenon joinery I would have one in a minute.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
shopsmithpaul
Gold Member

Post by shopsmithpaul »

I use my jointmatic all the time. Mine cracked by over tightening locking knob. I made repair with super glue and then JB Weld over the top. I made repair years ago and still holding. I use mine for small box joints. If you have one you will find uses for it. One thing I found is the dust collection works better with shop vac instead of dust collector.

I believe SS bought rights from Strong tools back in the 80's which made an all metal twin screw version. To make it more affordable SS went with plastic.

Paul
510, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic
Ranger
Bronze Member

Post by Ranger »

Shopsmith is selling the new plate for about $100. I just purchased this on EBay and it doesn't have that crack. However, since the unit was completely dissasembled, I don't have an accurate description of installing the crank handle. The exploded parts diagram doesn't show the detail well enough for the washer and nut installation. Also there are no adjustment procedures listed for this. Does anyone have this information? Does anyone have the accessories that were listed and would be willing to sell?