shopsmith planer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodmeister
Gold Member

shopsmith planer

Post by woodmeister »

How do you remove the chip breaker from the planer to access drum to set knives?
Thanks,
Tom
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: shopsmith planer

Post by JPG »

Chip Breaker????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

Yes the part behind the cutter cylinder. It looks like a semicircle sheet metal shield surrounding the drum before the cutters. I think it needs to be removed before I can get my knife locating gage on it to set knives.
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Chip Deflector, according to parts diagram.

It does not need to be removed, the knives are gauged and adjusted from the outfeed side.

Mike
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

I purchased a magnetic knife setting device having two gages and I can not access the cylinder with them when the shield is in place. How do I remove the sheet metal (shield)?
Thanks,
Tom
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

Is this magnetic blade setting tool sold by ShopSmith?

I use the gauge that comes with the ShopSmith planer, works great. See page 30 of this:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/747/6080.pdf

Another way is with magnets/dial indicators (at the 8 minute mark of the video):
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... Knives.htm
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

Tried to use shop smith setting gage but hard keeping cylinder stable even with wedges. The magnetic indicator will not work on mine as it is stainless steel. Bought a magnet set up with two indicators that fit on cylinder and need the chip deflector removed so I can get them on to set knives.
Thanks.
Tom
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIRC, the deflector nests into grooves on each side frame.

i.e. removal requires essentially complete disassembly.

An impractical course of action IMHO.

The rudimentary SS gauge is somewhat of a PITA, but is quite effective.

There are two versions of it. The earlier version is easier to use since it does NOT depend upon a line(blade contact point) scribed on the gauge.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange