Shopsmith Traveling Academy

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

damagi
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Traveling Academy

Post by damagi »

Has anyone seen an agenda for these new events? I would be interested in going, but I want to make sure that it will be worth the time.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Last edited by beeg on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

I wasn't able to go to either of the ones in my area due to conflicting schedules. Anyone one the forum go? If so, review?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

damagi wrote:I wasn't able to go to either of the ones in my area due to conflicting schedules. Anyone one the forum go? If so, review?

My wife and I went to the one in Salt Lake City last month. There were 7 or 8 other people there. One of the attendees was a former SS demo employee that Mike Young had trained when he was first hired.

The seminar was pretty much like the old ones. There was a lot of emphasis on the Power Pro and of course Mike had one there. He also had a shorty that he ran the band saw and jointer on.

There was a lot on maintenance and alignment. We did table alignments and SPT power coupler alignments to the head stock. The fixed extension table alignment was interesting. Some of you will remember the LONG thread we had about being able to align the fixed extension table on the right and then move it to the left and have it still be aligned. The conclusion in that thread was it can't be done. When Mike was done showing how to align the fixed extension table the first thing he said was can you move the table to the other end and have it be in alignment. I immediately said no. Mike said that is correct. You will have to re-align it at the other end. He also said and I quote "it was never intended to be that way" as in being aligned on the other end.

Another interesting thing that Mike explained was about the problem with the drilling template for the new large casters. In the beginning everything was fine. Then all of a sudden CS was getting complaints that the drilling template was wrong and didn't work. Engineering checked the print and couldn't find anything wrong. They finally figured out that when the initial warehouse stock got low someone just took one of the originals and made a bunch of copies on an in house copy machine instead of actually ordering them so they would be precision printed.

Besides me there were 3 of 4 other Power Pro owners. Mike spent a lot of time on the operation of the Power Pro. He said the Power Pro was 14 years in development.

There were discounts available on the Power Pro but less emphasis on discounts than the old seminars. When Doug Reid came to Salt lake years ago he always had a handout with lots discounted item. Mike did not have a handout but there were discounts. I just don't know on what other than the Power Pro since I didn't check it out at the end.

All in all it was a fun day and worth it IMO. I also think it is still a work in progress and might be tweaked as it goes along.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I wonder how many generations of 'copied' accumulated error templates there were? :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:I wonder how many generations of 'copied' accumulated error templates there were? :eek:
I don't think they know but Mike did mention that.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am pleased to hear this good news regarding the Traveling Academy. I have yet to see a schedule that brings them to my neck of the woods but that is OKAY. I probably would not attend anyhow. Less time in the classroom and much more expensive are the reasons. I enjoy the comradere but there is a limit.

Changing subjects, aka hijacking the thread: The problem with the templates for the casters was NOT introduced by an inaccurate "print copy". The numbers were simply wrong. Furthermore, unless there are instructions different than what I have, they are still wrong. My instruction sheet is an original and it is in color. It is Rev D. If you redrill using this template and install it as instructed, the wheels will never clear the floor. You will be able to move the Shopsmith around but there will always be some weight on the wheels. It is minimal and in fact sometimes the wheels clear the floor but the clearance leaves something to be desired (about 1/8" additional clearance).

Some painful reading on that subject: http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... er#p118564
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.