ss planer

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JTD7366
Silver Member

ss planer

Post by JTD7366 »

I have been looking for a thickness planer for my shop. I have browsed a couple of the table top Dewalt models.
I now have a chance to buy a free standing 12in SS Pro Planer. It is old (20yrs?) but has never been used.
Do you think I am safe buying the 20 year old machine even though it has never been used? Are there improvements that have been made to planers that I would get by purchasing a new DeWalt model?
I could buy the Shopsmith planer for $500 including stand.
I can purchase one of the deWalt models for $350 to $650 without the stand.
Thoughts?
Thanks
JD
algale
Platinum Member

Re: ss planer

Post by algale »

DW735 is excellent. Greater capacity (13 v 12 inch), superb dust chip ejection, super easy indexed blade replacement.

Don't have Pro Planer but it is reportedly excellent as well. Pro Planer has greater adjustability of feed rate (DW735 has only 2 speeds), blades that can be resharpened (DW735 are two-sided disposables) and cast iron table.

I don't think you will go wrong with either.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

stevespix
Gold Member

Post by stevespix »

I purchased a twenty year old pro planer and could not be happier (I only paid $200) . Once cleaned up and blades properly sharpened it works like a dream. The pro planer can be completely rebuilt I'm not sure about the dewalt. I picked mine up some 5 -6 years ago and use it a lot. If I had the same choice as you I go with the pro planer.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Never been used! I'd buy it in a heartbeat if the price is right. I have a Dewalt 735 and like it, but my shop is small and I would sell it if I could get the pro planer. The 735 with the stand takes up a lot of valuable space in my shop. Also, I can't sharpen the blades on the Dewalt.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I have had a Pro Planer for about 15 years that I bought new. There is nothing about a 20 year old Pro Planer that has really changed. I would buy it over a Dewalt in a minute.

One thing to check if it is being advertised as a Pro Planer. Is it really a Pro Planer or is it a MK V mount planer that was put on a power stand. Some people don't know the difference and call all SS stand mounted planers Pro Planers. SS does sell a power stand for the MK V mount planer. A true Pro Planer has a cast iron table. The MK V mount planer has an aluminum table. The Pro Planer comes with a 1 3/4HP motor. The power stand for the MK V mount planer has a 1 1/2HP motor. The Pro Planer says " 12" Professional Planer " on the in feed shroud. The MK V mount planer says " 12" Shopsmith Planer " on the in feed shroud.

Either way you can't go wrong. I only say this because if it is advertised as a Pro Planer and is not you may be able to negotiate the price down a bit by pointing out the differences.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The one thing that that has come up several times is damage occurring during shipment of these units by individuals, shopsmith does fine but others may not pack them well enough.

I believe it is the posts that get bent but others here can be more specific, especially if they were the recipient of a damaged one.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

I got my pro planer for 400 and love it. The Feed rate separate from the cutting speed is amazing. I find less snipe compared to Dewalt lunch box styles. (without extensions of course). But overall I don't think you can beat a SS pro planer without spending over $1000.
-Beave
JTD7366
Silver Member

Post by JTD7366 »

Thanks for all the replies.
I have seen pictures and it does appear to be a "professional planer".
I would be picking it up; so shipping damage should not be a problem.
Maybe I'll take the plunge
Thx
JTD7366
Silver Member

Post by JTD7366 »

....Oh. it looks like it is Model # m5082. And I can read the serial number...
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I have the Dewalt and a Mark 5 mounted model. I had the Dewalt before I bought the SS model and I haven't used the Dewalt since. There is a world of difference. I don't think you can overstate the advantage of having variable feed and variable cutter speeds which are independent of each other. Also the fact that the Dewalt blades are not sharpenable is a big difference. They are expensive and one rough piece of lumber with a knot and they have a nick in them. The SS you can sharpen yourself so I can keep them sharp at all times.
Paul