How do you heat your shop?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: How do you heat your shop?

Post by reible »

This is a thread of mine from 2013 when I got a heater for my garage shop.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=13713

Have not needed it yet this year but the time is coming and soon.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Bruce wrote:I wouldn't buy another one without a timer. I've left my oil-filled radiator type heater on before long after I needed it. A real waste of electricity.
Well when I leave my shop, just like b4 launching and loading my boat, I do/did a walk around, checked all, kinda like a pilot checking over the exterior of his plane. Your lack of being anal retentive is your problem. :)
But it is a problem of mine, being a little too much AR. :eek:
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

John
as I get ready to post this I will hit my stop watch for a perfect #s from Wild Cat Country ;)
I am still flabbergasted about your torpedo heater, even with really great complete combustion and orderless kerosene, the general rule for NG, Propane,
kerosene, for every 100K BTUs 1 gallon of H2O in the exhaust, so if not vented, that gallon of humidity is in there, but as a down hill skier, and at Ut for the Winter Olympics, Park City, it is dry. It was just hard getting a decent size Martini in a single glass!!!! God forbid a Long Island Ice Tea :eek:
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

John did I say calculator? I should have said slide rule :eek:
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

ERLover wrote:John
as I get ready to post this I will hit my stop watch for a perfect #s from Wild Cat Country ;)
I am still flabbergasted about your torpedo heater, even with really great complete combustion and orderless kerosene, the general rule for NG, Propane,
kerosene, for every 100K BTUs 1 gallon of H2O in the exhaust, so if not vented, that gallon of humidity is in there, but as a down hill skier, and at Ut for the Winter Olympics, Park City, it is dry. It was just hard getting a decent size Martini in a single glass!!!! God forbid a Long Island Ice Tea :eek:
I don't understand your numbers at all. Where is all that water supposed to come from? There can't be that much in the kerosene. It takes me 6 or more weeks to burn 5 gallons of kerosene. There is no issue with moisture that I have ever noticed.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

Just look at a chimney when the furnace is running in the winter and you can see the water vapor. High efficient furnaces that use the pvc piping for exhaust also plus they have a condensate drain off of the heat exchanger.
Just happen to have my Combustion Engineering Inc had book here with me at moms.
I was wrong on the kerosene, cant find a moisture content listed in flue gas
In Propane it is 1.634lbs of H2O in 22K BTUs, just under a pint, real close for natural gas which is 78% Methane is 2.246lbs H2O per 24K BTUs.
Based on some of the charts the H2O comes from a high amount of H in those gases,where kerosene has a very low amount.
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Jet fuel is just fancy kerosene. You can see all the water when a jet passes overhead and leaves con(densation)trails behind. However, I would be more concerned with carbon monoxide from a torpedo heater.

Mike
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

ERLover wrote:Just look at a chimney when the furnace is running in the winter and you can see the water vapor. High efficient furnaces that use the pvc piping for exhaust also plus they have a condensate drain off of the heat exchanger.
Just happen to have my Combustion Engineering Inc had book here with me at moms.
I was wrong on the kerosene, cant find a moisture content listed in flue gas
In Propane it is 1.634lbs of H2O in 22K BTUs, just under a pint, real close for natural gas which is 78% Methane is 2.246lbs H2O per 24K BTUs.
Based on some of the charts the H2O comes from a high amount of H in those gases,where kerosene has a very low amount.
All you are quoting is fuel type and BTUs. No mention of time for the supposed amount of water or the amount of water in the ambient air. The fuel does not have that amount of water in it. OK, there are chemical conversions but the humidity is 19% in my house tonight with the open flame NG furnace on. How does that equate?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Mike907 wrote:Jet fuel is just fancy kerosene. You can see all the water when a jet passes overhead and leaves con(densation)trails behind. However, I would be more concerned with carbon monoxide from a torpedo heater.

Mike
Do you know how much air a jet engine sucks in? It is a huge amount and that air is also compressed. The con trail comes from the huge amount of air and the moisture in that air that jet engines suck in. That is why sometimes you see con trails and some times you don't. When you don't see the con trail you don't know there is an airplane up there. It depends on the moisture content of the air at the altitude the jet is flying. If it depended on the fuel you would see it all the time.

As far as CO I have never had a problem. When I first started working in my garage I thought about that and left the garage door open about 2" and the personnel door on the other end of the garage open (cracked). I never had a problem then or now.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

John, you mentioned your furnace is on, I am assuming it vents to the exterior. A fire place does the same. A torpedo heater does not. But this tread has gotten to too many sasispicks. If it .works for you its is over