Free Standing SS Drill press

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Re: Free Standing SS Drill press

Post by robinson46176 »

This was my solution... Its been a few years now and I am happy with the concept. It has a caster set under it now but not many other changes. I do still have some other ideas. There was some concern with stability early on but I find it quite stable.
Here is link to the discussion as it came into being:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=5135
Shopsmith push me pull me.JPG
Shopsmith push me pull me.JPG (60.92 KiB) Viewed 6385 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

robinson46176 wrote:This was my solution... Its been a few years now and I am happy with the concept. It has a caster set under it now but not many other changes. I do still have some other ideas. There was some concern with stability early on but I find it quite stable.
An awesome conversion Francis!
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

jsburger wrote:The bench tubes are 18" long. They are the left over pieces from when I made my shorty. The bases castings are slid on the tubes as far as they will go (one end has a stop but the other end does not).
Can I just use a hack saw to cut the bench tubes?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tomsalwasser wrote:
jsburger wrote:The bench tubes are 18" long. They are the left over pieces from when I made my shorty. The bases castings are slid on the tubes as far as they will go (one end has a stop but the other end does not).
Sure!

Have plenty of blades.

Eat a hearty breakfast!

I have tried a pipe cutter.(2 tubes)

Next time it will be an abrasive cutoff wheel.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

tomsalwasser wrote:
A diamond-grit reciprocating saw blade should do the trick, if you don't need the ends perfectly square. I've used them to cut heavy machine castings. My local Lowes stocks them.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (21.58 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
But since I have the hardware (including a speed reducer and a steady-rest) to chuck up a tube in lathe mode for polishing, I'd probably do that, and use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to make the cut. That should give a nice clean edge.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

JPG wrote:
tomsalwasser wrote:
Sure!

Have plenty of blades.

Eat a hearty breakfast!

I have tried a pipe cutter.(2 tubes)

Next time it will be an abrasive cutoff wheel.
Metal cutoff saw would certainly be best...I took one set of tubes to a transmission repair place and they cut them for free.

I have gotten decent results using a sawzall with a standard metal cutting blade. I imagine using a diy miter guide would help the cuts, but following the line worked well enough.
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

damagi wrote:[I took one set of tubes to a transmission repair place and they cut them for free.
Great idea! I know the Muffler Doctor down the street will be glad to help me even if he charges for it. Maybe even free you never know.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

When I cut my greenie tubes it was done on a metal cutting horizontal band saw. It took less then 30 seconds per tube. Nice to have a friend that works in a machine shop.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

ERLover wrote:When I cut my greenie tubes it was done on a metal cutting horizontal band saw. It took less then 30 seconds per tube. Nice to have a friend that works in a machine shop.
Nice!

Showing my ignorance here. Just a crazy thought. Can a Mark V headstock and table be mounted on 10ER tubes and carriage? I think the combination might make a nice, easy wall mounted permanent drill press if it all fits. I know the 10ER is a very good drill press in it's own right.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tomsalwasser wrote:
ERLover wrote:When I cut my greenie tubes it was done on a metal cutting horizontal band saw. It took less then 30 seconds per tube. Nice to have a friend that works in a machine shop.
Nice!

Showing my ignorance here. Just a crazy thought. Can a Mark V headstock and table be mounted on 10ER tubes and carriage? I think the combination might make a nice, easy wall mounted permanent drill press if it all fits. I know the 10ER is a very good drill press in it's own right.
Way tube spacing is different. :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange