A Slow Boat To Nowhere

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: A Slow Boat To Nowhere

Post by jsburger »

ERLover wrote:John, can you by 35mm film, check the price, I got the same set up as you but a Nikon F. And no I refuse to buy a cell phone that takes pics, it is a phone, not a camera, but the youngens I think buy a phone to use more as a camera then a phone. Just watch the commercial for them.
Sure you can buy it. Kodak Gold 200 24 exposure roll 3 pack for 6.99. That is very cheap from what I remember.

I would call it a phone that also takes darn good pictures. I used to take my Fujifilm Finepix S1800 out to the shop to take pictures. I would then take the SD card out of the camera and copy the pictures to my WD My Book Live 3TB network drive so I can resize them and upload them to the forum.

I forgot the camera a few times but I had my HTC One M8 cell phone so I used it to take the pictures. With the WD app on the phone and the phone connected to my wireless network (which it always is) the app automatically uploads the pictures just taken to the the WD network drive. Piece of cake and you can't tell the difference on the forum from the pictures taken with the S1800 and the HTC One. I don't use the Fujifilm in the shop any more.

To each his own. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Plus, the iPhone camera is as good or better than a lot of standalone cameras.
Ya right, tell me how to change the shutter speed and F Stop setting to change depth of field?
Just like the CD, and now vinyl is the rage again for the sound quality.
I relent, it is a handy feature on your phone.
John I thought I read a few yeas ago Kodak is out of the film business, or was it Fugi./?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

ERLover wrote:Plus, the iPhone camera is as good or better than a lot of standalone cameras.
Ya right, tell me how to change the shutter speed and F Stop setting to change depth of field?
John I thought I read a few yeas ago Kodak is out of the film business, or was it Fugi./?
I don't know but you can still buy Kodak and Fuji 35MM film.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
cooch366
Gold Member

Post by cooch366 »

jsburger wrote:
ERLover wrote:Plus, the iPhone camera is as good or better than a lot of standalone cameras.
I don't know but you can still buy Kodak and Fuji 35MM film.
We went on a motorcycle trip thru Rochester NY on our way to Niagara Falls this summer and went by what is left of Kodak. I was really surprised at how many buildings / factories Kodak has / had, and how big the company once was. Many are closed / shut / abandoned and the company appears the be a shell of what it once was. Sad sight after spending the 70's, 80's and 90's shooting photography with Kodak film, and using their processing for slides and prints.
Unfortunately they were too late to the "digital" party and have not been able to recover. Must have been a significant hit to the people that live in that area. Really sad to see how such a large company came to such a demise.

My apologies, I just read the topic and did not mean to get off it. So please accept my apologies for the hijacker.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Done!
IMG_2776.JPG
IMG_2776.JPG (163.34 KiB) Viewed 15069 times
IMG_2777.JPG
IMG_2777.JPG (224.76 KiB) Viewed 15069 times
IMG_2780.JPG
IMG_2780.JPG (180.63 KiB) Viewed 15069 times
IMG_2781.JPG
IMG_2781.JPG (155.92 KiB) Viewed 15069 times
Well, this build has been a heck of a journey! To literally everyone who has offered advice or encouragement: thank you! You all have contributed to this project in one way or another, including by giving me the confidence to get it done and to just keep plugging away at it. But I would be remiss if I didn't single out Shipwright, who skyped with me to explain how to deal with the most difficult problem I encountered early on in the stripping process. Also a big thanks to Gil Gilpatrick who designed the model canoe I built, called the "Wabnaki." I highly recommend his book, "Building A Strip Canoe." Gil also answered a few of my questions via email.

I always like to know how others used their Shopsmith equipment on a project, so here goes:

- The plywood for the strong back was cut using the Shopsmith table saw.
- The plywood station forms were cut on the Shopsmith band saw and smoothed and beveled using the Shopsmith drum sander.
- The plywood cradle pieces were cut on a vintage Shopsmith jigsaw with the upper arm removed.
- The first batch of strips was ripped using the Shopsmith table saw. For the second batch of strips, I switched to my Shopsmith band saw (with a Kreg fence) because the band saw kerf is much thinner and there is much less waste, which is important when trying to get as many 1/4 thick strips out of a board as possible. With a regular 1/8 table saw blade you lose a strip's worth of wood to sawdust with every two you cut! I also scarfed the strips using a jig on the Shopsmith belt sander. All strips were edge milled with bead and cove using a homemade router table that fits on the Shopsmith.
- The seat frames were ripped on the Shopsmith table saw, and I used the Incra v. 120 miter gauge to cut the tenons, including making the angled shoulders on them. Angled mortises were drilled using the Shopsmith drill press, which was also used to drill all the holes for the cane.
- The Yoke was cut on the Shopsmith band saw, smoothed with the Shopsmith drum sander and the "scoop" was done using the exposed upper drum of the Shopsmith belt sander.
- All the deck pieces were cut using the Shopsmith band saw. After assembly and epoxying, the decks were cleaned up and leveled on the Shopsmith belt sander. The arc detail on the decks was traced using the Shopsmith 12" sanding disc as a pattern and cut on the Shopsmith band saw.
- The gunwhales were ripped on the Shopsmith table saw and were scarfed on the table saw using a jig.

I think that's about it. At least, that's what I remember now. If I think of anything else, I'll edit this post.

And of course, once it "splashes" I will post a few pics!

Thanks for looking/reading!

Oh, and if you are going to be in the area (Gaithersbug, MD) and give me a heads up, I'm happy to go for a quick paddle with any Forum member!

Al
Last edited by algale on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

This is super! I've admired this thread and your persistence over many months. Well done!
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Absolutely magnificent, Al!
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

What a finish! I am very proud to have been witness to this build. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Absolutely magnificent job! I hope someone is still using it 50 years from now! Enjoy it, you have certainly earned it.
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

WHOOPPPPEEEEEE!

Now about the shipshead/'shipstail'. :D

Well done!!!!!!!! :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

You say "Done!"
I say "Well Done!"
Can't wait to see her come to life. (Just add water) (under, not in).
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese