Electrical safety for a newbie attempting his first rebuild

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Anomalocaris
Silver Member

Electrical safety for a newbie attempting his first rebuild

Post by Anomalocaris »

Hello all,

Recently acquired an early 80's Mark V (Serial Number 99511) from a dear friend that passed away. It was well loved and maintained during prior use, but has since sat idle for some time so I am planning on doing a through cleaning and rebuild. Before doing any of that I was wondering if there are any electrical safety issues I need to watch out for (aside from the obvious of unplug the darn thing). I know it is a very bad idea to tear into microwaves and some old TVs due to the capacitors. Is there anything similar to that with the Mark V? Any and all advice/help is much appreciated.
kschwarz20
Gold Member

Re: Electrical safety for a newbie attempting his first rebuild

Post by kschwarz20 »

Nothing like capacitors or anything exotic in the Shopsmith to worry about. Perhaps if you open up the motor (which should generally not be necessary)there might be a capacitor, but even that should be fine (I've restored a couple of 10ERs, but have no opened up the motor on a Mark V). If you want to be completely sure, unplug it for a day before doing the work.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If you are not opening up the motor, do not be concerned. Even then there should not be any 'stored' charge.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Anomalocaris
Silver Member

Post by Anomalocaris »

What if I am opening up the motor?
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

UNPLUG FROM ELECTRICAL SOURCE. :eek:
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Be sure you have a grounded electrical plug with the ground wire connected to the motor or frame. I found a few ground plugs cut off and the motor will still operate. I have gotten shocked a couple times from internal shorts in the motor which I could never correct.