PowerPro Woes...

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro Woes...

Post by JPG »

So the quill rack teeth are being used as a broach. I assume those were aluminum shards.

Thus the surface finish is being refined"(just like the 50's car cylinder walls. :rolleyes:

Now about the 'vibration'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Is it the Quill Feed Pinion or the Quill Housing that is being "broached"? I would assume the Quill Feed Pinion because it does not appear to be as hard a material.

This area of the machine is all new territory for me; the parts that we are discussing here have never been removed from my machine. No, not true. I have removed the quill but the same quill was always reinstalled.

I'm still very curious about the vibration.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Is it the Quill Feed Pinion or the Quill Housing that is being "broached"? I would assume the Quill Feed Pinion because it does not appear to be as hard a material.

This area of the machine is all new territory for me; the parts that we are discussing here have never been removed from my machine. No, not true. I have removed the quill but the same quill was always reinstalled.

I'm still very curious about the vibration.
Indeed that may be the case! Good call!

Me too.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
TomH
Gold Member

Post by TomH »

Latest update!

First a clarification...when I said Sue told me a resounding NO to my working on the issue, that wasn't meant in a bad way, in fact, she is saving me from screwing something up which is a good thing! She was very helpful in explaining why I didn't want to take that part of the headstock apart on my own.

Princess? Haven't been called that in a long time! :D I probably wouldn't have noticed it except I can run A/B comparisons with the old head stock and one vibrates the other doesn't. (Ok, maybe not as bad as a real jackhammer :D Shouldn't do this when I'm ticked off! Mea culpa)

Yup, have waxed it twice including the gear teeth on the bottom side. Didn't really change anything.

As for wearing in the parts, I did have to do that with my BMW motorcycles...600 miles then change the oil, then good to go forever with regular oil changes but have never had to do that with power tools. So maybe that's the deal, I just need to use it a bunch and see if things straighten out.

I did receive a call from SS, they have been reading the forum (Big Brother...good for them, that's the right way to use a forum) and they want me to send it back again. I didn't get a chance to return the call but will do so on Monday.

Have mixed feelings about sending it back yet again. First off, it's not an easy job for me to take it off, pack it and get it up the stairs. I'm not able to lift that much weight any more so I have to get help. But more importantly, what's going to be different this time? If that was as good as it's going to get and nothing is being harmed internally, what do I gain? If I was SS, I'd just ship me a new headstock in exchange for this one and use this one for learning purposes in the lab. Gotta be cheaper than shipping this thing back and forth and working it.

I'm thankful that they are willing to continue to work on this but will wait until I can talk to SS again and see what they think they can do. With the holidays, etc. I'm assuming I'll be without my headstock for at least another 3 weeks or so. :(
Tom
Making scrap wood with style!
TomH
Gold Member

Post by TomH »

dusty wrote:Just a question out of curiosity.

You state that you upgraded to the PowerPro headstock. Which method of upgrade 1)purchased new, 2)refurbished headstock or 3)your headstock, reconditioned?
Dusty...

Bought it brand new at a Lowe's demonstration, July 11, 2015. Finally received it about 4 1/2 5 months later, had it for a couple weeks and sent it back for repair and started this adventure

You know other than this, it's really a pretty neat deal. I can't pass up new technology after I've touched it, the onsite demo got me! :D More power, better control, way quieter, it's really all the cool things they say about it, mine is just being a bit weird. I bought my original in 1997, never have had a lick of trouble with it. Converted the side rails this year too and got the new rip fence...best thing ever! That new fence is fantastic!
Tom
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

TomH wrote:

You state that you upgraded to the PowerPro headstock. Which method of upgrade 1)purchased new, 2)refurbished headstock or 3)your headstock, reconditioned?
Dusty...

Bought it brand new at a Lowe's demonstration, July 11, 2015. Finally received it about 4 1/2 5 months later, had it for a couple weeks and sent it back for repair and started this adventure

You know other than this, it's really a pretty neat deal. I can't pass up new technology after I've touched it, the onsite demo got me! :D More power, better control, way quieter, it's really all the cool things they say about it, mine is just being a bit weird. I bought my original in 1997, never have had a lick of trouble with it. Converted the side rails this year too and got the new rip fence...best thing ever! That new fence is fantastic!
I guess you know what it's supposed to sound like if you saw the demo.
TomH
Gold Member

Post by TomH »

Bruce wrote:
TomH wrote:

Dusty...

I guess you know what it's supposed to sound like if you saw the demo.
Bruce: yeah, I purposely held onto the demo unit and was shocked by how quiet and smooth it was, that was part of what got me. Since I can run the old head and new head next to each other to compare, it's pretty obvious.

Not sure how to post sample vibration file on here but if you are close to Lincoln, NE, feel free to stop by! LOL!
Tom
eartigas
Gold Member

Post by eartigas »

You can make a short video and put it in YouTube or Facebook
May be SS can also see it there and determine if it's normal

Good luck
TomH
Gold Member

Post by TomH »

eartigas wrote:You can make a short video and put it in YouTube or Facebook
May be SS can also see it there and determine if it's normal

Good luck

Thought about that but how do I give you the "feel" of the vibration? Guess I could hook a bobblehead to it and then compare the bobble with the old headstock? ;)

Thanks for the idea, I'll see what happens next week.
Tom
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

TomH wrote:Latest update!

First a clarification...when I said Sue told me a resounding NO to my working on the issue, that wasn't meant in a bad way, in fact, she is saving me from screwing something up which is a good thing! She was very helpful in explaining why I didn't want to take that part of the headstock apart on my own.

Princess? Haven't been called that in a long time! :D I probably wouldn't have noticed it except I can run A/B comparisons with the old head stock and one vibrates the other doesn't. (Ok, maybe not as bad as a real jackhammer :D Shouldn't do this when I'm ticked off! Mea culpa)

Yup, have waxed it twice including the gear teeth on the bottom side. Didn't really change anything.

As for wearing in the parts, I did have to do that with my BMW motorcycles...600 miles then change the oil, then good to go forever with regular oil changes but have never had to do that with power tools. So maybe that's the deal, I just need to use it a bunch and see if things straighten out.

I did receive a call from SS, they have been reading the forum (Big Brother...good for them, that's the right way to use a forum) and they want me to send it back again. I didn't get a chance to return the call but will do so on Monday.

Have mixed feelings about sending it back yet again. First off, it's not an easy job for me to take it off, pack it and get it up the stairs. I'm not able to lift that much weight any more so I have to get help. But more importantly, what's going to be different this time? If that was as good as it's going to get and nothing is being harmed internally, what do I gain? If I was SS, I'd just ship me a new headstock in exchange for this one and use this one for learning purposes in the lab. Gotta be cheaper than shipping this thing back and forth and working it.

I'm thankful that they are willing to continue to work on this but will wait until I can talk to SS again and see what they think they can do. With the holidays, etc. I'm assuming I'll be without my headstock for at least another 3 weeks or so. :(
I would not hesitate to ship it back BUT I would ask what happened to the loaner program for warranty units that need to be returned. There was a time (not long ago) when they would be shipping you a loaner, you use the same box to ship yours, the repaired unit would get shipped back and you would ship the loaner back to them in that box.

They obviously do not believe with me that the problem is in the quill.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.