Long Drum Roll..... Ta Da !!!

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Long Drum Roll..... Ta Da !!!

Post by nuhobby »

Hi,

Credit for this project goes to the Sand Flee people as well as reible's old posting on "Sand Almost Free."

I've been lusting for a Sand Flee but haven't been ready to buy it yet. However... I did just get the 6-inch Drum Sander. I went to work making a miniature Sand-Flee of my own.

I had an old 500 tie-bar & trunnion. I took 5 inches out of it and used J-B Weld to put it back together. After painting it gray, it looked pretty nice.

I continued and fashioned a box on top the trunnions. The very top of the box utilizes some old cherry cabinet-door panels which I found in a neighbor's trash. The tapers came in very handy as you can see.

I added a Dust Port and also used the 6-inch Drum itself to make the final tweaks on the top panels.

It worked GREAT! There is a bit of runout in the rubber drum (not the aluminum basis of the drum) but with the Trunnion system I could level the table just right over the length of the drum. See the pieces of walnut; one is still rough-bandsawn, and the other is after some passes across this drum & table. Dust control was GREAT, just nothing came out!

Cheers,
Attachments
Mod Tie Bar & Panel Taper Top.jpg
Mod Tie Bar & Panel Taper Top.jpg (36.39 KiB) Viewed 11316 times
Dust Port Side.jpg
Dust Port Side.jpg (40.04 KiB) Viewed 11661 times
Bookmatches Compared.jpg
Bookmatches Compared.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 11236 times
Chris
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Well done, Chris!Image
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Looks GREAT, Chris! You deserve a big ATTA BOY!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Totally sweet, innovative.
The finished board looks great, and the nuhobby sandflee-inator (so we don't infringe on trademark rights):D looks professional too!
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
dlbristol
Platinum Member

wow

Post by dlbristol »

You guys never cease to amaze me. Kind of like my Mark V and my Mac, the answer to any question about " Can IT do this?" is always "yes, it can, but can I?'.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

It was nice to see this thread again and I'm glad that we have people willing to experiment with home built tools. Chris did a great job!!!

When I was first interested in this type tool I was just fooling around with a design but you know it turned out to be a useful tool in the shop. Even at the smaller size it works for a lot of projects.

For those that missed the initial postings you can check it out at:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=863

All of the information that I did at the other forum is no longer there due to a change in the software used for the board. I don't have a copy sorry. But the pictures are in place and if you have questions feel free to ask.

Someone not long ago ask if I still used it... the answer is yes! Hey for an afternoons project it well worth the effort.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
grouser
Gold Member

Post by grouser »

VERY NICE........IMHO there is no better feeling than bujilding a quality tool that does a great job from parts in your inventory. I never understood woodworkers that bought things like router tables, work benches and other tools that are things I think should be built at home ,,,unless you just dont have the time, there are exceptions:rolleyes:
Mike, Northern Ca.
:D Just an old logger trying to keep his feet covered in wood chips
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Thanks for your kind words.

I think I'm about 50/50 split on a few of our passions. Earlier I had no patience for making jigs or tools, but that patience is developing. Similarly, sometimes I'm too much into the tools & catalogs and leave attractive piles of wood waiting [longer] for some project destiny. Acquisition vs. usage, it's a ongoing tension! Both are fun....
Chris