Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

LR1231
Gold Member

Re: Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited

Post by LR1231 »

Everett have you ever thought of creating a large illustrated parts drawing for a Mark VII like you did for the other Mark V?

I have been looking at one a buddy's uncle has that I have seen run. I find some things on here that I think can help, but I am not sure I want to go forward without a good bit more information.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

LR1231 wrote:Everett have you ever thought of creating a large illustrated parts drawing for a Mark VII like you did for the other Mark V?

I have been looking at one a buddy's uncle has that I have seen run. I find some things on here that I think can help, but I am not sure I want to go forward without a good bit more information.
I have not done that one.

Shopsmith Inc. still sells a Mark VII Information Packet that came with some limited materials they acquired when they bought out the old factory that previously produced them, to acquire the Mark V products they wanted.

I understand it is more of a courtesy photocopy service of old materials that survived the years that company was closed. Shopsmith Inc. never made the Mark VII, but they show to have the following info in the packet which sells for $7.99 - 877083 Mark VII Information Packet

•Informational pages for the Magna Mark VII Units produced in the 1960's.

•Includes copies of the Owner’s Manual & Parts Listing.

•Trouble shooting & common repair procedures.

•Parts listing of items available today for the unit. (One of the reviews said this was not included now which may mean they don’t have anything left unique to the Mark VII)

I’ve never owned one myself, although I am considering getting one someday just to complete my collection.

If I can ever obtain a really good quality high resolution drawing of one to work from, I will consider making a large format drawing for you if that would help you, and others who have Mark VII's.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:
LR1231 wrote:Everett have you ever thought of creating a large illustrated parts drawing for a Mark VII like you did for the other Mark V?

I have not done that one.

Shopsmith Inc. still sells a Mark VII Information Packet that came with some limited materials they acquired when they bought out the old factory that previously produced them, to acquire the Mark V products they wanted.

I understand it is more of a courtesy photocopy service of old materials that survived the years that company was closed. Shopsmith Inc. never made the Mark VII, but they show to have the following info in the packet which sells for $7.99 - 877083 Mark VII Information Packet

•Informational pages for the Magna Mark VII Units produced in the 1960's.

•Includes copies of the Owner’s Manual & Parts Listing.

•Trouble shooting & common repair procedures.

•Parts listing of items available today for the unit. (One of the reviews said this was not included now which may mean they don’t have anything left unique to the Mark VII)

I’ve never owned one myself, although I am considering getting one someday just to complete my collection.

If I can ever obtain a really good quality high resolution drawing of one to work from, I will consider making a large format drawing for you if that would help you, and others who have Mark VII's.

Everett
A pdf help?

Looks respectable @ 400x.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

It sure would help.

My email is listed in my profile, but I think you had it already.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:It sure would help.

My email is listed in my profile, but I think you had it already.
If it is not 'good enough' I could try a scan at max resolution for my scanner. Not sure what that is (2400x2400?).

Pdf being sent.(soon)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Realizing that Buying a Used Shopsmith can include far more than the Mark V - Mark 7 family, I have begun the process by returning to 18 Aug 1947 where it all started with Hans Goldschmidt's submission for patent.

On page one you will find a new file: Shopsmith Magna 10E Headstock & Table View as filed for Patent
see http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690
(Yes it is an E size drawing)

Look for more drawings in coming days and weeks, finishing up with a completely redone high resolution 10E Owners Manual

Everett
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Interesting that four step pulleys are shown in the 10E patent drawing as opposed to the three step pulleys that were shipped.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Update: Added two more E size drawings

Shopsmith Magna 10E Headstock with Base
Shopsmith Magna 10E Table and Accessory Exploded view

Everett
Last edited by everettdavis on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

rpd wrote:Interesting that four step pulleys are shown in the 10E patent drawing as opposed to the three step pulleys that were shipped.
I noticed that too. The drawing 'Shopsmith Magna 10E Headstock with Base' that I just posted for the 10E has the 3 step pulley as you mentioned.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Just noticed a detail on the M5 / M7 side by side.

The clip shown is only present on the Gilmer version.
M 5 idler detail.jpg
M 5 idler detail.jpg (153.71 KiB) Viewed 38531 times
There are three versions - Mark 5 Gilmer, Mark 5 Poly-v / Early Mark V, and Late Mark V / Mark 7.

Water pump bearing with clip, Water pump bearing, Dual ball bearing.

P.S. The gilmer belt looks 'different'. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝