Dado Blade

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

webzter wrote:Thanks for all of your help. I have had the dado set for some time and wasn't able to get a proper insert to fit my stand alone table saw so I never used it. Now I have my Mark V, I am looking forward to trying out the stacked dado set and will keep all of the comments in mind and experiment and see what works for me.
Keep in mind, webzter, that you will need SS#505506 dado arbor, as you can knot use the saw blade arbor with the dado.:)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
webzter
Silver Member

Post by webzter »

Tim. I have purchased the arbor and the table insert. Just a matter of getting the time to get out to the shop put everything into operation.
psargeant
Gold Member

Post by psargeant »

I will be interested to know if the Shopsmith dado table insert will allow for the use of 8" stacked dado blades. I seems to me that the table insert only works for 6" blades and would not allow for adequate elevation of the 8" dado blades before "sawing" the ends of the cutout in the dado table insert. Your input will be greatly appreciated on this matter.
Phil Sargeant
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

I'm using the Freud 8" stack dado. So far, I have not had any problems
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

psargeant wrote:I will be interested to know if the Shopsmith dado table insert will allow for the use of 8" stacked dado blades. I seems to me that the table insert only works for 6" blades and would not allow for adequate elevation of the 8" dado blades before "sawing" the ends of the cutout in the dado table insert. Your input will be greatly appreciated on this matter.
Phil Sargeant
Hi Phil,
How deep do you need your dado's?
Tim

psargeant
Gold Member

Post by psargeant »

I realized today that the table insert that I was referring to in my previous post of this thread is designed for the molder head and is not the dado insert. That explains why my 7" dado set wouldn't work with it and so it looks like I will be ordering a dado table insert this next week. I am glad I resisted the temptation to "correct" the problem by slowly lowering the small insert down over the dado blades or I would be probably ordering two inserts instead of one!
P. Sargeant
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Good catch, P.!
Tim

Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

With an 8"-diameter dado set mounted on the Shopsmith 5/8" arbor, the dado blades will clear the front and the back of the dado insert by about 1/8" when the table (510/520 table) is at it's lowest possible position. The blade will protrude approximately 2-3/8". Remember to stack the dado set from the right end of the arbor. You need to use the big, thick spacer between the shoulder of the arbor and the first trimmer when cutting narrow dadoes and grooves, otherwise the end of the arbor with hit the end of the table tiebar when you lower the table.

With all good wishes,
BillF6531
Bronze Member

Question for Nick

Post by BillF6531 »

What are the Model 510 part numbers for the 5/8" arbour, and can I use the dado arbor for a saw blade too?

Best regards,

Bill in Canada
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This is the dado arbor for use on the 510.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/itemfind.htm?item=505506&Submit=Find+Item

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/ms_molderdadoarbor.htm

Note that in the first reference above it states that it cannot be used with a regular blade.

I use and recommend the standard 5/8" saw arbor 555608.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/swd_sawbladearbors.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.