Incra TS-LS Positioning Fence

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pieceseeker
Gold Member

Incra TS-LS Positioning Fence

Post by pieceseeker »

Would like some opinions on this product. Any regrets, disappointments, or otherwise dissatisfactions with it?

Have read and watched videos on it, considering it. Need to decide by 11:59 EST. Of course I could always wait until next offering.
benush26
Platinum Member

Re: Incra TS-LS Positioning Fence

Post by benush26 »

I have absolutely no regrets about having the system, but I had an immediate and continuing use for it. I have the "Super System" package which is the positioner and the Wonder fence, templates and jigs/ fixtures . I bought the positioner through Shopsmith, the Wonder fence was a Christmas present and the rest through Amazon to make up the super system, I bought the 5' tubes through a vendor that occasionally appears on Ebay.
About the only thing the SS version (versus the ones available elsewhere) gives you is the bracket that attaches to the floating table and possibly the wings that ride on the edges of the main table (though I think they come with the non-SS version). Green lines
tsls_m.jpg
tsls_m.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 10394 times
I bought it mainly for the Wonder fence with its ability to do dovetail and finger joints very precisely. Took my inconsistencies away.
The positioner itself is VERY precise if you want or need that sort of thing, but with some persistence, the 520 fence will yield exceptional results, too.

The BIG however.............
The price differential is significant as a percentage! If you believe you can fabricate (or buy separately) the piece that attaches the positioner to the floating table you would be significantly ahead in savings. The super system through Amazon is < $465 compared to about $640 on sale from SS.

If you were planing on buying SS "Ultimate" package, the pluses on the SS side start to get better. I fabricated a router table to fit the M7 (520 table) from an INCRA table (LOTS of cutting, routing and trial fitting!! :eek: ). In hind sight, I think their 555995 table would have been the better course. Putting my time at just $10 an hour I think I would have saved money.

If you want or need the precision (I do for different projects), it is amazing, but then again, so is the price tag.

If you do get it and don't have a couple sliding T-nuts (555916), get them. They make set up/re-indexing of the fence a snap!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Be well,
Ben
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Thanks for the reply Ben, very helpful. I have decided to hold off until a few other projects are finished. In the mean time, I'll have more time to think about what I will actually need. That setup appears to be a real plus and compliment to the SS. Thanks again!
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

I have the TS-LS on my table saw and love it. Found a guy on CL who wanted to trade for the fence setup on the OEM I had for his TS-LS. Also found a "Original Incra Jig" that I'm hoping to get setup for my drill press and (dished) band saw table.
KJ6BJL
Bronze Member

Post by KJ6BJL »

Has anyone ever tried attaching the Incra to a SS 510?
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Like this one?

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... _fence.htm

Everett - oh that's KE5URJ to you I suspect...
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Here's a thread with quite a bit of information in the Original Incra Jig and the latest one.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gener ... t6696.html
mmcdonough
Gold Member

Post by mmcdonough »

Does anyone have pics of this item attached to SS 510? I have the opportunity to get a LS25 positioning system from a friend and want to know if I can adapt it to my SS.

Thanks Mike
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Sorry this took so long, but I'm not checking the forum regularly.

Also sorry that this is not EXACTLY what you asked for. It is the 520/M7 base rather than a 510, however I believe the main difference would be the rails, not how it attaches nor usability.
There is the TS-LS mounted (with the Wonder fence, too)
P1000145.JPG
P1000145.JPG (153.5 KiB) Viewed 9927 times
You drill two holes in a floating table, press two nuts in from underneath.
P1000141.JPG
P1000141.JPG (132.06 KiB) Viewed 9927 times
Level up the Aux table with the main, attach the floating table with tubes (I like the 5' ones best, though I did not use them here 0- just a quick setup to show you the system),
Loosely insert two bolts with handles attach the plate to the table
P1000143.JPG
P1000143.JPG (151.5 KiB) Viewed 9927 times
With two sliding T-nuts upside down in the miter slot, press the fence against them to align the fence to the slot.
P1000144.JPG
P1000144.JPG (153 KiB) Viewed 9927 times
Tighten the two bolts to hold the plate in place and you are ready to go.

I presume the only difference in the installation between the 510 and 520 is the pieces on each side of the fence that keep it aligned with the table and floating or just touching above the rails
P1000146.JPG
P1000146.JPG (148.5 KiB) Viewed 9927 times
P1000142.JPG
P1000142.JPG (155.5 KiB) Viewed 9927 times
-
Though its not exactly what you asked for, I hope that helps.

Be well,
Ben
mmcdonough
Gold Member

Post by mmcdonough »

Ben

Thanks for all the pictures and explanations. I really appreciate it. I think I am going to invest in the system since I am about to start to redo all the drawers in our kitchen.

Mike