Anyone near DC have a set of double bar clamps?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone near DC have a set of double bar clamps?

Post by algale »

Here it is. Reminds me of an M.C. Escher drawing.
IMG_20160313_0005.jpg
IMG_20160313_0005.jpg (282.2 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
And the entire instruction sheet:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (197.39 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

It appears to me that on the desk, they are being used like a single bar clamp. The unused arm is just pushed out of the way or left to dangle.
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Yea, that illustration is pretty confusing.

What they are trying to say is that by removing one bar from the double-bar clamp, you can use what's left kinda like a pipe clamp. So in the illustration, they are showing no fewer than twelve double bar clamps, each with one bar removed. They are being used to clamp up the carcase of a desk.

I tested this out just now, clamping a couple of two-by scraps to the sides of my tool chest. It works as advertised, but I needed three hands for this particular operation.
Clamp1.JPG
Clamp1.JPG (668.74 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Clamp2.JPG
Clamp2.JPG (610.63 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Clamp3.JPG
Clamp3.JPG (560.9 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Twelve 48" double-bar clamps would set you back $926, at todays prices! :eek: But if I ever run out of bar clamps and pipe clamps, it's good to have another trick up my sleeve.

Edit: I also tried reversing the clamp "scissors" on the end without the screw, as shown in the instructions. But then I needed four hands. :rolleyes:
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thanks, Dennis. That makes perfect sense now. Also incredibly expensive!

I purchased the 24" bar clamps and may experiment with making longer bars since the hardware is interchangeable. Putting a long curve (1/8" per foot as stated in the instructions) would probably be a little tricky to get perfectly smooth on say a 4 foot or longer caul, but worth a try!

Wonder if they would sell the hardware separately and a what price?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!