Saw dust collection

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jjbuzard
Gold Member

Saw dust collection

Post by jjbuzard »

I see nothing new is out there for dust collection, several years ago I bought the current Mark V table sawing dust collection 2 piece thing, a total waste of money. with it all hooked up with a stationary dust collector, it takes longer to set it up than it does to simply vacuum it up afterwards. Any ideas on how to improve it? I see they are still offering the same one I bought years ago. I even made a lower guard out of wood that does a little bit better job, but there has to be something better.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Saw dust collection

Post by dusty »

What model Mark V do you have. I have a Model 510 and the dust collection system on it works just fine.

A picture or two might help the forum crew determine and correct whatever problem it it that you are having.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There are several posts out there dealing with improving the dust collection but I think they mostly deal with the 510/520 systems because those of us who have that system seem to be more active on the subject.

Keep in mind there are two parts to dust collection, one is the larger bits, wood chips so to speak and the second fine dust that we don't want to be collecting in our lungs.

I have no problem with chips on the floor if they are not all picked up by the system, but I would like to see most of them collected as I work. The fine dust is another matter, while I wear a dust mask I still would like to think most or if possible all that dust were taken out of the air.

Right now I'm working on an improved collection system for the bandsaw. You can see the prototype here:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 95#p202995

Right now I don't have enough time to work on other improvements but we are always open to having members share what they come up with, so what are your ideas?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I'm having a problem with the floor sweep attachment on my 4" dust collector. I've been sweeping stuff into it for a couple of days and nothing goes away. :eek: I guess it is because I haven't gotten around to connecting it yet. :D
I had just laid it on the floor by a post to see where I wanted it and where it was the most natural to sweep stuff into it.
I think that I am going to pick up at least one more, maybe two. They are pretty cheap and I don't really want to push the stuff 20' all of the time by plan. Tuesday I was using one of my extra table saws just because it was there and handy to use and I was cutting some used lumber that I didn't really want to cut with my best saw blade. It was an old Craftsman bench saw on a stand that just has an open top box built in the base to catch the sawdust. I just grabbed the 4" hose on one of my dust collectors (a like new Penn State 1 1/2 HP that I got for $50) and shoved the end of it down in the box from the back and flipped it on. I expected it to do OK especially on the fine dust but I was surprised at how well it did overall. When I finished up there was no sawdust laying anywhere or visible at all in the air. I would not have been surprised if it had been a saw with even a modest lower guard type system but this thing is about wide open. Maybe we are trying to hard? :) :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

On the dust collection, the lower guard seems to catch the largest chips, but the fine dust escapes, even using 2 dust collectors, one on each hook up. Probably the use of 2 Shop vacs , with higher velocity, might do better, here are the pictures, this is after a good clean up and then making a 6' rip with a 60 tooth blade.
Attachments
DC1 small.jpg
DC1 small.jpg (325.37 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
DC2 small.jpg
DC2 small.jpg (305.16 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
DC3 small.jpg
DC3 small.jpg (322.32 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
DC4 small.jpg
DC4 small.jpg (324.04 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

dusty wrote:
A picture or two might help the forum crew determine and correct whatever problem it it that you are having.
I have a Mark V with the Clear MarkV Upgraded Saw Guard System. Here are Pictures.
Portion that attaches to Headstock.jpg
Portion that attaches to Headstock.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1856 times
Portion that attaches to table tubes.jpg
Portion that attaches to table tubes.jpg (922.93 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
Gap between halves.jpg
Gap between halves.jpg (625.64 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maint ... t6063.html has a good overview of some options. In short, some of it has to do with the dual use of the dust chute for the 12" sanding disk and a 10" saw blade. If you close off the front edge a little, it can significantly improve the collection performance.