Bandsaw blade problems...burning

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Bandsaw blade problems...burning

Post by ERLover »

reible wrote:http://lumberjocks.com/topics/13112

Ed

ERLover wrote:
charlese wrote:Or you can assume Lumber Jocks don't talk about it.
I respect you, and I am sure on LJ if some one had that problem they would have posted it, BUT in the last few months I have seen that here. By different posters, I even questioned it, when JPG or John B explained it, how it happens and how to fix it.
That thread was posted in Jan of 2010, 6 plus years ago. I guess you can find anything with a search.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
TomH
Gold Member

Post by TomH »

You guys are the best! Sure enough, I took the blade off this morning, did the recommended twisting and Ta-Da! the pointy bits are now going the right way and it cuts smoothly!

I had no idea you could do that to a blade and in over a decade of having my SS, I've never had it happen before.

Just shows that there is always something to learn!

Thanks to all! :)
Tom
Making scrap wood with style!
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

When I got my SS bandsaw, I hadn't used a bandsaw since 8th grade shop class. I installed the blade and had great difficulty cutting through aluminum threshhold. It also made a helluva racket. Only afterward I noticed the teeth were pointing the wrong way. I had to laugh.
bill50cal
Gold Member

Post by bill50cal »

I have seen the same thing with people putting the chain on backwards on a chainsaw :eek:
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

bill50cal wrote:I have seen the same thing with people putting the chain on backwards on a chainsaw :eek:
Does that make fallen trees stand back up?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Tx_clint
Bronze Member

Post by Tx_clint »

This rates right up there as dumb things one can do. This is not to say I haven't done it also. It's simple to fix without twisting the blade which is just as dumb. Just rotate 180 and flip the blade 180.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Tx_clint wrote:This rates right up there as dumb things one can do. This is not to say I haven't done it also. It's simple to fix without twisting the blade which is just as dumb. Just rotate 180 and flip the blade 180.

Well I'll be. :o

That actually works!!!!!! :cool:

So it is all about how you pick it up to begin with. ;)

Nay folks, that is not so!!! Let myself get led astray here.
Last edited by JPG on Wed May 11, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: Bandsaw blade problems...burning

Post by Skizzity »

JPG wrote:
Tx_clint wrote:This rates right up there as dumb things one can do. This is not to say I haven't done it also. It's simple to fix without twisting the blade which is just as dumb. Just rotate 180 and flip the blade 180.

LOL post number 2....
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: RE: Re: Bandsaw blade problems...burning

Post by JPG »

Skizzity wrote:
JPG wrote:

LOL post number 2....

How'd you slip that post(#2) in when we were not looking???? :confused: :confused: :eek: :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bandsaw blade problems...burning

Post by Skizzity »

JPG wrote:
Skizzity wrote:
JPG wrote:

LOL post number 2....

How'd you slip that post(#2) in when we were not looking???? :confused: :confused: :eek: :D
It seemed simple to me. I was wondering if I was wrong though cuz nobody said anything about it. I checked the inside and outside of my blade and was, "huh?".
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill