bent jointer fence

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodmeister
Gold Member

bent jointer fence

Post by woodmeister »

Just got a jointer and found out when I tighten the fence bolt(one that keeps it tight on the bar) it causes the fence to raise up to high. Appears the channel is bent somewhat. Can the area be bent back slowly on and arbor press or will it break? Any one with experience with this problem?
Thanks,
Tom
billmayo
Platinum Member

Re: bent jointer fence

Post by billmayo »

woodmeister wrote:Just got a jointer and found out when I tighten the fence bolt(one that keeps it tight on the bar) it causes the fence to raise up to high. Appears the channel is bent somewhat. Can the area be bent back slowly on and arbor press or will it break? Any one with experience with this problem?
Thanks,
Tom
I believe you are saying the Quadrant Assembly (42) has a spread channel that slides on the fence mounting bar (16). If so, yes, I have used my shop press to slowly close the channel (50% successful). Yes, I have had a few crack when doing this so it is not a fool proof method. I did not use any heat when doing this so it might another way to straighten the channel.
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

Will try heat also. Thanks Bill.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Tom! The channel on my quadrant spread soon after I bought the jointer.

The problem was entirely mine. :o Old habits of over-tightening every time there is an opportunity to tighten stuff. I bought a new quadrant and it has served me for many years.

LESSON LEARNED :)

This same solution also applies to the headstock lock on the way tubes. Turn to feeling resistance then 1/2 turn - no more tightening.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

I believe you may be correct ie over tightning. I believe my quadrant is on piece connected to fence but will check later.
Thank you all
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

They no longer sell the quadrant for shop smith. I see is does come lose so I will heat and try to bend it back without cracking I hope.
Tom
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

They no longer sell the quadrant for shop smith. I see is does come lose so I will heat and try to bend it back without cracking I hope.
Tom
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The 17 Most Frequently Ordered Shopsmith Service Parts

F. Jointer Fence Tilt Quadrant May require replacement if the outfeed end of the jointer fence raises too high off the outfeed table surface, or if the fence lock handle fails to hold the fence at the proper angle when tightened.

502651 Jointer Fence Tilt Quadrant ... $44.07

Is this the part in question?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Controlled persuasion is the key here!

Remove the bar/rail and use it to prevent over correction.

Slowly/incrementally squeeze in a vice.

The 'assembly' is available, but not the single part.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

Part no longer available. I am thinking about heating it with a torch and slowly pressing it closed with and arbor press.
Thanks for the input.
Tom