Problem with Revised Under-Shopsmith Cabinet

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

EYoung
Silver Member

Problem with Revised Under-Shopsmith Cabinet

Post by EYoung »

I'm hoping you experienced folks can help me. I'm trying to build an under-shopsmith cabinet for my 510 and I'm having an issue I don't understand. I followed seejay's plans here: http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 448#p21448

but things aren't looking right. I'm about to start cutting my dados for the drawers but I am having a problem when I try to include a 7", 4", 3" and 3" drawer. The dimensions look off from the ORIGINAL cabinet and I didn't see any mention of changes in the revised section.

At first I thought I needed to move the top of the cabinet up and that did seem to let me fit all the drawers but now the partition and doors look too small.

Can you please help me see what I'm missing?
shopsmith cabinet.jpg
shopsmith cabinet.jpg (173.33 KiB) Viewed 15987 times
Last edited by EYoung on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
br549
Platinum Member

Re: Problem with Revised Under-Shopsmith Cabinet

Post by br549 »

I have never tried to build this cabinet, but the dimensional discrepancy you are encountering takes me back to my working days as an architect, trying to figure out why dimensions sometimes didn't add up correctly. I think the original plans were just in error to try to get 4 drawers of the sizes noted (7", 4", 3", 3") in the space provided. Looking at the plans you referenced, the overall height from top of rounded hangers to bottom of cabinet is 25". Take away 6" to top of cabinet gives you 19". Minus 2-1/2" for toe space/base, now you're down to 16-1/2". Minus top and bottom thicknesses, you've got 15-1/2" clear height inside. Minus three shelf thicknesses at 1/2" leaves you 14" net for 3 shelves. One at 7", one at 4", one at 3". If you want to install drawers instead of shelves, you still just have 15-1/2" available, and it can be divided up any way you like, but 7 + 4 + 3 + 3 = 17" any way you figure it. Not including any clearance between the drawers, either take a total of 1-1/2" out of the drawer heights (such as 3/8" each), but probably better to size drawer heights based on what you will be wanting each drawer to store.
Last edited by br549 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EYoung
Silver Member

Post by EYoung »

I'd be inclined to agree with you but earlier in that same thread there are pictures with 4 drawers!

In addition, in those pictures he didn't seem to have the top as close to the shopsmith as I do in my picture. (My shopsmith 510 lower tube height is the 21 1/2" in my picture)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Perhaps I'm confused but when I look at the drawing in the link shown I see more like a 4" drawer, and three 3" drawers. So what am I missing here?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
EYoung
Silver Member

Post by EYoung »

Are you looking at the drawing for the original? That's included there for reference but the revised measurements are further on in the word doc and mention a 7", 4" and 2 3" drawers.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have not studied this drawing but I did take a measurement. I measure 21 3/4" from the floor to the bottom of the bench tubes. I hope that helps clarify the situation.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Fired up sketchup and this was an example of what could be. Assuming the 2-1/2" number for the bottom and the 6" number for the top you can end up with this:
1eeeeee.jpg
1eeeeee.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 15934 times
Of course the drawer sizes can be changed to fit your needs.

This is also assuming using dividers and one could go to other methods to hang the drawers(slides) and gain a bit more room.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

EYoung wrote:I'm hoping you experienced folks can help me. I'm trying to build an under-shopsmith cabinet for my 510 and I'm having an issue I don't understand. I followed seejay's plans here: http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 448#p21448

but things aren't looking right. I'm about to start cutting my dados for the drawers but I am having a problem when I try to include a 7", 4", 3" and 3" drawer. The dimensions look off from the ORIGINAL cabinet and I didn't see any mention of changes in the revised section.

At first I thought I needed to move the top of the cabinet up and that did seem to let me fit all the drawers but now the partition and doors look too small.

Can you please help me see what I'm missing?
You are adding the 1/2" dadoes between the dimensions for the drawer fronts. ie. 7+1/2+4+1/2...
The dado is to recess the aluminum angle which acts as a runner under the drawer.
The drawer fronts go one on top of the other with minimal clearance between them. 7+4+3+3=17
See the shelf mounting detail in the center on the right side.
undercartplan.jpg
undercartplan.jpg (209.11 KiB) Viewed 15933 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi, EYoung! In my humble opinion, you have done nothing wrong, except perhaps fret over measurements. In my simple woodworking mind, measurements have often gotten me into trouble.

Don't worry about measurements! Just make it work!
Last edited by charlese on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
EYoung
Silver Member

Post by EYoung »

That's it Ron! I totally missed the aluminum angle. Thank you!