Problem with Revised Under-Shopsmith Cabinet

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

EYoung
Silver Member

Re: Problem with Revised Under-Shopsmith Cabinet

Post by EYoung »

charlese wrote:Hi, EYoung! In my humble opinion, you have done nothing wrong, except perhaps fret over measurements. In my simple woodworking mind, measurements have often gotten me into trouble.

Don't worry about measurements! Just make it work!
Thanks for the encouragement. This is only my second cabinet and I was working to make it as well as I could. I was considering adjusting everything but it was bugging me like crazy that I couldn't figure out how to make it fit like the plans.

Ron has shown me the error of my ways in missing important information in the original. I'm still going to try to adjust it a bit because I don't have any angle aluminum and I'm wondering if I can make it without but we'll see.

Thanks again!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I guess we are talking two sets of plans and one of them not based on the original. In the original we have a total height of 25". The top is down 6" and the bottom is up 2-1/2". Using 1/2" material for both you are left with 25-(6)-(1/2)-(2-1/2)-(1/2)= 15-1/2".

Again I have not studied this that much but I have to assume the modification adds the 1-1/2" some how. I missed that.

Anyway if anyone is interested in making one of these in original size keep in mind that one has only 15-1/2" worth of space.

I've made three version of these. The first one was as the plans showed. A second and third were changed in to different derivations based on need, the latest and current design is drawers on both sides and an open area in the middle. The cabinet stands alone, I cut off the ears as they didn't work for me. And it sets on casters so it can move it with out it being attached as it sit on its own. I have no plans for a 4th generation at this time.

Needs change and so do the best plans, got to move with it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

EYoung wrote:Ron has shown me the error of my ways in missing important information in the original. I'm still going to try to adjust it a bit because I don't have any angle aluminum and I'm wondering if I can make it without but we'll see.

Thanks again!
In the revised plans he specifies using "hardwood runners", It is not very clear, but I think the runners would fasten to the sides of the drawers and slide in the dadoes, (dadoes would need to be repositioned)
An alternate way to do the drawers it to make the bottoms wider than the drawers and size the dadoes so that the edges slide in the dadoes.
To illustrate this is a box with drawers that I started back in the Seventies and never finished, I did finish it's twin but that one has gone missing over the years.
The drawer sides and back are missing but you can see how the front goes on, the back and sides would be attached on top side of the bottom.
drawerbox1.JPG
drawerbox1.JPG (344.37 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
drawerfront.JPG
drawerfront.JPG (469.32 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,