Non-skid/.mar feet for Mark V stand

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Non-skid/.mar feet for Mark V stand

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Well, by golly, Paul is right. Those booties just need a little persuasion.

In the first two pics, you can see why I thought they wouldn't fit. They have no provision for that formed edge that wraps around into the "arch" of the leg.
Bootie1.JPG
Bootie1.JPG (401.94 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
Bootie2.JPG
Bootie2.JPG (414.67 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
But with some stretching, they will indeed go on.
Bootie3.JPG
Bootie3.JPG (413.09 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
Then I had the bright idea of warming the next one up with a heat gun, to get it nice and pliable. Much easier this time. Afterward, I heated both up until soft, and formed the outside to the legs a bit better.
Bootie4.JPG
Bootie4.JPG (385.62 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
Bootie5.JPG
Bootie5.JPG (375.77 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
Not bad. And they do a very good job of absorbing the caster-drop jolt. No more loud clang -- just a subdued thunk now. Which has to be better for preserving machine alignment.

I wonder why Shopsmith never offered booties that fit the main-machine legs properly? I bet they would go a long way toward prevent leg rusting problems, as well.
gsmyth
Silver Member

Re: Non-skid/.mar feet for Mark V stand

Post by gsmyth »

They fit on the legs of my Model 500 and 510, and the older power stands. Bought a bunch since my basement workshop floors are tile. If the 520 legs are a different size you might try using a little soapy water to slip them on.