Best Off-cuts

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Best Off-cuts

Post by berry »

In my woodworking I often get to this point and find myself not sure of how I should proceed.

I have a piece of pw left over from another project 16 x 96 and I need to cut a piece 9 x 69 for my next project. Is it better to rip the stock first and then have a pieces 7 x 96 and 26 x 9 OR should I make the cross cut first and have pieces 7 x 70 and 26 x 16 as the off-cuts? And if you answer this take a second to explain your thought process. TIA
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Best Off-cuts

Post by reible »

It all depends on what you want as your left over. If it were me I'd like to have a wider piece like the cut off so I would do the 69" cut first leaving the 27" x 16" piece for another project. I'd also save the 7" by 69" piece as that might provide some other nice project wood.

For me having to store a long piece like the 7" x 96" is more of pain then storing the other two cut offs.

Now if I had yet another project in mind I could be talked into finding a spot to store the longer piece but in my experience for the way I do things the wider the piece the better, not anywhere the need for longer pieces. But again everyone has there own ideas and shop conditions.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I try to make my excess pieces as large as possible to allow more flexibility for future projects, grain pattern, color match or defects allowing of course. In your example I would cross cut first.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

thunderbirdbat wrote:I try to make my excess pieces as large as possible to allow more flexibility for future projects, grain pattern, color match or defects allowing of course. In your example I would cross cut first.
Ditto!

Like Ed long stuff is a problem both storage and handling(that rip cut first chore).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

berry wrote:In my woodworking I often get to this point and find myself not sure of how I should proceed.

I have a piece of pw left over from another project 16 x 96 and I need to cut a piece 9 x 69 for my next project. Is it better to rip the stock first and then have a pieces 7 x 96 and 26 x 9 OR should I make the cross cut first and have pieces 7 x 70 and 26 x 16 as the off-cuts? And if you answer this take a second to explain your thought process. TIA
I would recommend the first cut to yield a piece 16x90 and that the second cut (rip) give you a final piece that is 7x60.

I prefer getting down to the smallest size possible as quickly as possible. Small pieces are easier to manage while cross cutting than are larger pieces.

Actually, I would cut them slightly oversize 7 1/4x 60 1/4 so that I could work the edges down to required dimension.

Your cut offs are going to be of similar dimension either way.

Which cut off is going to be most useful "for you".
Attachments
The Cut Offs.png
The Cut Offs.png (9.93 KiB) Viewed 16763 times
Last edited by dusty on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jackpine
Silver Member

Post by jackpine »

I guess the answer depends on what type of projects you normally work on ? :confused:

A Long piece would be okay if you were mostly always making projects 7 inches or less. I pretty much never make "long" projects. :rolleyes:

They tend to be as tall as long. Unless it's a shelf/cabinet. So... me personally... I'd opt for the big cut. :)
:confused: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A POLITICIAN AND A FELON IS... THE FELON GOT CAUGHT !! ;)

1995 Shopsmith 510 (bought new), and 510 mounted SS Router,SS Jointer,SS Bandsaw,Sander,Vacuum System, Delta Jig Saw(bench top)and many other tools in which to hurt myself. :eek:
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

I'd make the "crosscut" first - I think I'd have more opportunity to use a 16x27" piece of pw than a 7x96" piece, unless I needed some shallow shelves
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

If grain orientation is not important I try to keep off cuts as large as I can. You can always make 'em smaller but you cant make 'em bigger.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wa2crk wrote:If grain orientation is not important I try to keep off cuts as large as I can. You can always make 'em smaller but you cant make 'em bigger.
Bill V

So which 'larger piece' is better? 7x96 or 26x16?

I think 26x16 is 'better'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

As most have said, I would do the cross cut first for the reasons stated.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT